Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Death of wounds

GJB

I'm trying to trace which battle a relative was killed in. His medal card says D of W, which I guess is death by wounds.

The CWGS states that he died on 4th Oct. 1917. The cemetery is Poelcapelle and his Div. were involved in 2 battles in this immediate area, Polygon wood (26/9 - 3/10) and Broodseinde (4/10).

How can I find out where he received his wounds that killed him?

Gary

Gary,

It might help if you post the details of your relative, regiment etc as it's possible that someone on this forum could help.

If you know the battalion yourself then it's possible that the war diary for that unit might be available online. If it is, then you should be able to pinpoint which battle they were involved in.

Steve

Gary

Unless he was an officer, it's most unlikely that he would be mentioned by name in the war diary (although very occasionally there are attached casualty reports).

If you can post which unit he was in, someone may know which battle they were engaged in (and hopefully only one of them).

John

The Soldier that died of wounds was Frank Palmer.

"C" Coy. 1/5th Bn Royal Gloucestershire Reg.

Originally a private 3039TF and later a Sgt. 240931.

The date of death 4/10/1917 and grave at Poelcapelle Brit. Cem.

They were part of the south Midland Div. & became 145th Brigade, 48th Div. From the 29th Sept - 3rd Oct 17 were involved in the battle of Polygon Wood, and the 4th Oct 17 the battle of Broodseinde.

Anyone that has info or knows where I might find this info I would be interested to hear from.

Gary

PS. I've just noticed that he was awarded the MM so thats something I can dig at.

Hi Gary

Seeing that he died on the 4th Oct., I would say that was the day he was wounded because if he had been wounded earlier he would have been buried furth back. Many may not agree, OK he may have been buried else were and moved to Poelcapelle Brit. Cem. after the war. I am not sure if the C.W.G.C. would be able to tell you if this is his original burial place, worth asking.

According to the Regimental History, the 1/5th Bn were in resrve to the 143rd Brigade. They moved to Reigersburg Camp on the 3rd Oct., the attack started at 6 a.m. on the 4th, at 3.30 p.m. the 1/5th Bn were ordered up to Arbre in close support. They were ordered to attack at 5p.m. "C" were to attack Inch Houses. The attacking companies formed up just south of Winchester Farm in two waves. Conditions were bad and the Battalion only got 300 yards east of Winchester Farm.

Annette

PS will look and see if I can find any meantion of his M.M., there is no index so may take time.

Annette

Thanks for the info.

I will check with the CWGC but I thought the same as you, although Polygon wood and Broodseinde are both close to the cemetery.

Thanks

Gary

PS. Can't seem to find a listing for his MM at the London Gazette

Hi Gary

Just looked at C.W.G.C. site and it looks like Poelcapelle British Cemetery was made after the Armistice, but hopefully the C.W.G.C. will be able to give you his original burial place.

Annette

Hi Gary

There was a small index to battalions in the Regt. History, but I did not find Frank's name on any of the pages covering the 1/5th. The Regt. History is patchy when it comes to mentioning award winners, it only mentions a small number of M.M.'s

Annette

I've just got a reply back from the CWGC on Frank Palmer.

His body was recovered in April 1920 from a battlefield grave south-east of Poelcapelle.

The location was Brit trench map ref. 20(SE3)V.26.d.7.2.

I'm sure somebody out there will give me this location in English (early Oct. 1917).

Gary

Listed in London Gazette Issue 29758 published on the 19 September 1916. Page 4 of 8.

How did you get this info?

I've tried but no listings at around this date. If pos. can you send me the page with the listing?

Thanks

Gary

Hi Gary

It is very close to Vacher Farm, and I would say was just behind the line again on the 4th Oct. If no one beats me to it I will scan map of area.

Annette

Hi Gary

Here is the map with 26.d.7.2. marked as red cross, also added second map that shows Inch Houses. By the way both maps have small bit missing, map one from bottom and map two from the top but they still match up ok.

second map