Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Relatives buried in Ypres Salient

Neil Mackenzie

I am off to Ypres 8/9 October as I always try to visit the area around the time my great uncle was killed in 1917.

However, I don't have many other things planned so if you have a relative with a grave in the area and want me to stop by then please let me know. I am thinking mainly (but not exclusively) of the Aussie, New Zealand and Canadian members here whose might have graves that family members cannot get to on a regular basis.

From a personal point of view a cemetary visit always means more if I know a little about one or more of the people buried there.

If anyone wants any photos taken of course please let me know and I will be happy to oblige.

Neil

Hi Neil

Not a relative of mine, but a former pupil of our school, whose name appears on the war memorial. He was the only child of Charles and Mary, and on their death they left everything to his girlfriend/fiance. The family home is still known as Sherriff's House. I have been able to contact a distant relative, and someone in his local church who is planning a display for Remembrance Sunday.

Name: SHERRIFF, JOHN BRASIER

Initials: J B

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment)

Unit Text: 15th Bn.

Date of Death: 14/10/1918

Service No: 72377

Additional information: Son of Charles Frederick and Mary Ann Sherriff, of Scawby, Brigg, Lincs.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: VI. C. 3.

Cemetery: DADIZEELE NEW BRITISH CEMETERY (16 km East of Ypres)

If you have time, another pupil of ours was:

Name: SYMONDS, PERCY BROWNE

Initials: P B

Nationality: New Zealand

Regiment: Otago Regiment, N.Z.E.F.

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 12/12/1917

Service No: 5/150

Additional information: Son of Barker and Fanny S. Symonds, of Westholme, Keelby, Lincs, England.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. N. 26.

Cemetery: MENIN ROAD SOUTH MILITARY CEMETERY

He emigrated to New Zealand some time after 1901, and became a farmer at Stonehurst, near Aukland. Another forum member kindly supplied the following:

War Diary 2 Otago 12 December 1917 “While the rations were being delivered at Wattle Dump at 5am the enemy put over about 20 5.9’s which caused casualties amounting to four killed and 8 wounded. Three Company QMS’s were casualties, one being killed and two wounded. Three mules killed and three wounded. Interchange of companies in front and support lines was carried out without casualties during day-light.”

He is listed on the NZ roll as being a driver in the ASC.

If you are able to help with either of these, many thanks. If not, thanks for the offer anyway.

Dave

Dave.

I will definately stop at Menin Road South. Dadizeele is less likely to be possible but I will bear it in mind.

I will send you some pictures when I return.

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

David.

I managed to visit both Menin Road South and the cemetery in Dadizeele so if you let me have your email address I will send you the photos. Alternatively I could stick them on a CD and send that instead - I took a handful - in which case please email your address.

Dadizeele was a pleasant surprise and I would never have even considered going there if it hadn't been for your post. The cemetery is nice and has a German bunker incorporated in the south wall (picture below). The town itself is very nice with a large Basillica. or at least thats what the waiter in the restaurant called it - it looked like a large church/small cathedral to me (is that the same thing?). Whatever it was it looked very large for the size of the town.

There may not be too much there from a WW1 perspective but the restaurants/bars looked pleasant - and it looked a nice place to stop for lunch.

Neil

post-719-1128879997.jpg

Many many thanks for your help. PM sent with details. I hope to visit this myself one day.