Komen (Comines) and Comines (France)

Malte Znaniecki

Komen

No 1

Subject: Market place

Space of time: pre WW1

comines00014hw.jpg

Source:

Die Schlacht in Flandern : 307 Bilder aus dem Bereich Diksmuide, Houthulst, Poelkappelle, Langemark, Roeselare, Thielt, Meesen, Hollebeke, Meenen, Kortrik / Hrsg. v. e. Inf. Regt. - 1. bis 5. Tsd. - München : Piper, 1918.

No 2

Subject: Road to Armentières

Space of time: pre WW 1

comines00020qt.jpg

Source:

Die Schlacht in Flandern : 307 Bilder aus dem Bereich Diksmuide, Houthulst, Poelkappelle, Langemark, Roeselare, Thielt, Meesen, Hollebeke, Meenen, Kortrik / Hrsg. v. e. Inf. Regt. - 1. bis 5. Tsd. - München : Piper, 1918.

• 4 weeks later...

Just curious if anyone has a modern day picture of the Market Sq in Comines. I wanted to know if the clock tower had been restored. Andy

• 4 months later...

Are they shell/bomb craters along the line of what appears to be a railway embankment? Incredibly accurate! Or were they the results of demolition? Probably the latter - the small bridge (top right) over the stream appears to have been blown.

Ian

Very interesting aerial photo.....just tried to find the location on a trench map, but seems to be well away to the east (unfortunately I don't have map 29).

I was reading about aerial photos in a WW1 booklet on interpretation of photos recently.....seems if you make sure the shadow is falling towards you (need to turn photo) things become much easier to identify. Seems to work! Peter.

Hi, many thanks malte and cnock,

posts 7 and 11 are beautiful!

regards,wouter