Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

23rd Bn. Manchester Regt.

gnr.ktrha

Hello,

I'm researching the service of a 2nd Lt. Wm Morison Reid, 22nd Bn Manchesters attached to the 23 Battalion. He was from Edinburgh and enlisted in the Lothian and Borders Horse, then was commissioned into the Manchesters.

As far as I can tell, according to Officers Died in the Great War, he was the first officer to die in this Battalion in France.

He died in Feb. 1916 of wounds. I understand at that time his unit had not long arrived in France and were undergoing the usual training with more experinced formations.

Can anyone shed any light on the nature of his wounding and when it occured ? I have a copy of what remains of his service papers but it does not provide a date of wounding or nature of his wounds.

Thanks for looking.

Stewart

No mention in Stedman's "Manchester Pals".

It's worth making contact with the Regimental Museum. There are a number of unpublished battalion histories - I just can't remember if the 23rd is one of them

John

Hello,

Thank you both for your replies. I will try writting to the museum. He is probably mentioned in the battalion war diary. I understand that he is listed in a book regarding the Manchester City Battalions, he is listed under the 22nd Bn.

Thanks for looking through the Edinburgh Roll. I do know that he went to the Edinburgh Academy, I have his entry from their Roll of honour.

Many thanks,

Stewart

Stewart,

Do a Google for "Spinning the Web" on this site you can search through the Manchester Battalions Roll, never know you might get lucky.

Bob.