Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Roy Evans

South Staffordshire's War Diaries

Roy Evans

Sorry, I've just weeded out some old messages so you should get through now.

Roy

Roy Evans

Graeme / Enoch / Tilton,

If you PM your postal addresses to me I'll copy and mail the other stuff on Wednesday.

Roy

Graeme / Enoch

Copies now in post.

Roy

GraemeClarke

Roy,

An Officer and a Gentleman,

Many thanks,

Graeme

enoch beard

thank you roy

GraemeClarke

Cheers Roy,

All arived safely,

Graeme

enoch beard

thanks roy,

mines arrived too :thumbsup:

enoch

ChristopherH
I am new to this forum and would be very grateful for any help.

My Grandfather enlisted on 10th Aug 1915 in Tipton, West Midlands and may have been assigned initially to the South Staffordshire regiment. He left Folkestone for Etaples on 19.4.1916 as desctribed in his British Army WW1 service discharge record. (which I've attached)

Herbert Charles Harding

1/6 Battalion South Staffs Reg.

Regiment Number 19881

Rank Private (Bugler?)

First joined for duty 10-8-1915 at Tipton

The record is different than a lot of the ones I looked at on the same website, rather than a enlistment record, it appears to be a "Z" discharge record from 1919. It shows he was gassed on 19th Oct 1918 and treated at the 3rd North Midland field ambulance.

The record shows he was posted to the 1/6 South Staffs Regiment on 13th October 1917, I'm trying to find out where he was from his arrival in April 1916 until October 1917.

A couple of the record entries are hard to read. I am hoping that you may have more experience in determining what these words say and in the terminology used.

There is an entry on 26.9.16 "with the #$# at #$@" Do you have any idea of what this says? It appears to possibly say "With the 5th at buly" or "With the 6th at 1/July" or some other permutation. Can you commment on that this says?

The top of the form also has a faded stamp "10th (Reserve) Bn So Staffs. Regt." In the "Regiment or Corps" entry. Which agrees with his postings to Lichfield Harrogate and Rugley before departing for France.

I would be extremely grateful for any help, as I 've come to a bit of an impasse, regarding

(i) Which regiment he actually initially enlisted in

(ii) If you could post the war diary entry for 19th Oct 1918 and a day or so either side for the 1/6th S.Staffs which might show where he was when gassed

(iii) Where the 3rd North Midland field Ambulance was (I saw on a map a town called "Frensnoy le Grand" which agrees with what he wrote on the record, but any more information would be great to have).

I realise that is a lot of questions. I shall be most grateful for any help you can provide, if I have asked the questions in the wrong area of the forum, I would appreciate it if you tell me where I should post it.

Many thanks in advance,

Christopher Haddock

Charles Herbert Harding's Grandson.

enclosed

"Z" discharge war record for

Charles Herbert Harding

Medal sheet

My grandfathers medal sheet (copy enclosed) has him listed in the both the "9 / S. Staffs R" and also the "Worc R".

Looks like the files I have exceed the upload size, I can send a zip file to your email address if you would like to see the whole record.

post-110148-0-96005000-1399557464_thumb.

GraemeClarke

Hi Chris

I feel you have made a big mistake posting at the end of a thread which is over 2 years old. My advice is to start again in the 'Soldiers' thread.

Re the 26 September, I think that he was 'wounded, stayed at duty' ie the wound was not severe enough to warrant going for treatment.

Good luck with your research,

Regards,

Graeme

ChristopherH

Hi Graeme,

Many thanks for the information, and the advice to post in the more appropriate section. What a great forum this is.

regards

Chris

ren134

looking at seeing the war diaries for the 2/6th south staffords

my father James William Price TF  No 554 later 40020 served with them.

Roy Evans
37 minutes ago, ren134 said:

looking at seeing the war diaries for the 2/6th south staffords

my father James William Price TF  No 554 later 40020 served with them.

Go to Stu Briscoe's 'Black Country Territorials' website. You'll find the diaries there.

Roy

Barnbarroch
On 28/09/2005 at 17:33, Roy Evans said:

I have just been fortunate enough to get copies of four more South Staffs war diaries. Should anyone want look-ups I now have the following in full;

1st, 2nd, 4th, 1/5th, 2/5th, 1/6th, 2/6th, 7th and 8th Battalions.

Roy

Dear Roy,

I'd be immensely grateful for details regarding the wounding and death from wounds of L/Cpl Bertrand William (Billy) Charles, 200593(?) 1st/5th Batt S. Staffs.

He died 23 Mar 1917 (aged 21, on his birthday) and is buried at Etaples. I'm researching him for a friend.

Regards,

Jamie.

mailjamievans@gmail.com.

Edited by Barnbarroch
Missed a bit!

Claire78

Hello Roy

I wonder if you have anything in your files regarding 2nd Lieutenant GERALD STANWAY who died on 5th October 1917 and is buried in the Dozinghem Military Cemetery near Poperinge, Belgium. According to his CWGC record he was 5th battallion attached to 7th Batallion so not sure whose records, if any, his death may appear in.

Thanking you in advance

Claire

Roy Evans

No mention of him in the 5th Battalion diaries but he gets 3 mentions in the 7th Battalion diary.:

1st November 1916   MAISON ROLLAND

Training in open warfare. Weather still adverse.

Following officers returned from duty with 32nd Bde:-

2/Lts. A. BONNER, G.C. WEST, W.B. STEELE, J.R. COTTERILL, J.E. DUMBLETON, F. HOYLE, G. STANWAY

19th November 1916  VARENNES

2nd Lt STANWAY attached for duty to D.H.Q. as Assistant A.P.M.

PM me your email address and I will let you have details of the battle in which he received his fatal wounds. (3rd entry)

Roy

CeliaDrew

I am researching Serjeant Alfred Cleveley Service No: 9627, South Staffordshire Regiment, 1st Bn. Honors: M M  He died on 12 May 1917, and is remembered on the Arras memorial, panel 6.  I surmise that he died at the second battle of Bullecourt.  His medal rolls index card states that he served first in the Balkans, from 21/07/15.  It is unclear where he was awarded the Military Medal. Newspaper reports about him state that he served in Gallipoli.  The unit history of the South Staffordshire Regiment on http://www.forces-war-records.co.uk  mentions Gallipoli only in relation to the 7th Battalion South Staffs, and says "July 1915 Mobilised for war and embarked for Gallipoli from Liverpool. 07.08.1915 Landed at Gallipoli and engaged the Turkish forces in various actions."  My question is: can it be possible that he could have been in both battalions: the 7th then the 1st, as it appears that the 1st Battalion did not serve in Gallipoli?

Many thanks in advance for your time.

Celia Drew.

Photo added by Iain MacFarlaine

Add Photos Request Photo

Advertisement

clk

Hi Celia,

10 hours ago, CeliaDrew said:

My question is: can it be possible that he could have been in both battalions: the 7th then the 1st, as it appears that the 1st Battalion did not serve in Gallipoli?

Yes. His medal roll records show that his overseas service was with the 7th Battalion, then the 1st. His Soldiers' Died record shows that he was born in Powick, and enlisted in Lichfield. His Soldiers' Effects record (incorrectly under the name of Arthur) shows that the amount of war gratuity paid to his mother (Mary A) was based on a rank of Corporal. The amount shown as paid can be used to calculate war service counting from circa August 1914. He might have been serving pre war, but given the history of the 7th Battalion, I suspect that he may have enlisted in the very early days. His Military Medal card shows that he was an acting Sergeant with the 1st Battalion when he earnt the award, and that it was announced in the London Gazette of 12th March 1917. There is advice on researching a Military Medal here

The war diary for the 7th Bn in Gallipoli is here on Ancestry. For their time in France (prior to the LG date) it's here at the National Archives, or here on Ancestry. Unfortunately, I don't know when and why he transferred to the 1st Bn. Their war diaries are here at the National Archives, or (for the period January 1916 to November 1917) here on Ancestry.

Regards

Chris

gitou1963

hello there !

I am also researching a soldier from the the 1/5th battalion south staffordshire regiment in june 1916....anyone's got the war dairy of the battalion for that month ? That will be great Ta

GraemeClarke

Gitou,

Thats the problem attaching a request to the end of an old thread, no-one sees it.

What date are you after ??

Regards,

Graeme