Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: South Staffordshire Regiment

Unit Text: 2nd/6th Bn.

Date of Death: 29/04/1916

Service No: 3736

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: CE. 612.

Cemetery: GRANGEGORMAN MILITARY CEMETERY

I presume he was wounded and then died as the date of his death is the final day of the rising and this ceased at noon.

He is intresting in that he was under age, his sister wrote to his CO and an accommodation was reached in that he was sent to Ireland to be 'safe'.

My thnaks in advance

Melanie

Melanie,

In addition to information Roy may find, I have extracted and attached the chapter from "The war history of the sixth battalion of the South Staffordshire Regiment". It may provide some more background for you (but does not mention your ggu by name).

Regards,

Stuart

2_6_in_Dublin.txt

Melanie,

Sorry, can't help on this one as the 2/6th War Diary did not start until they left for France in February 1917. I will ask at the Regimental museum next time I'm there.

Roy

Do have the war diaries that would cover the South Staffs, not sure which battalion, that served in Gallipoli in August 1915. I'm trying to trace L/CPL 10838 Griffiths who I am lead to believe died onboard a ship off Gallipoli. He is listed as being killed in action 09/08/1915

Thanks

Mick

The7th S Staffs were part of 33rd Brigade, 11th Div. Whilst the diaries of battalions were lost, the Brigade and Div diaries etc survived. They are at Kew and possibly with the museum. The 7th joined the Brigade at Grantham (Belton Park) in August 1914. I have pieced together the Brigades movements from 6th to 21st August and can send you a copy if you wish. The 9th SF and the 7th S Staffs became a composite battalion for a month after 21st Aug (to 21st Sept) owing to the losses of both. The 9th SF had 50% casualties in 8 days and no doubt the 7th S Staffs had about the same.

stevem

Melanie,

I've just found a page on the 2/6th in Dublin in 'History of the South Staffordshire Regiment' by W.L. Vale. The Battalion was engaged from 2 a.m. on the 27th and was fighting from houses and roofs in the Northumberland Road area, south of the river subsequently being withdrawn early on the 28th. Of the other ranks involved, 11 were killed and 31 wounded.

Roy

........ Whilst the diaries of battalions were lost, ......... stevem

Steve,

Whilst you are quite correct in the statement that the diary was lost, when it was restarted (in June 1916) it included a narrative 'Short History of Operations on Active Service of Major Importance' which gives six pages of the Battalion's actions from the lost diary. Happy to scan and post if you wish.

Roy

Roy

Would it be possible to look up the details in 1/South Staffordshire war diary for 3rd, 4th, 5th November 1914?

Much appreciated.

Regards

Ken

Steve,

Whilst you are quite correct in the statement that the diary was lost, when it was restarted (in June 1916) it included a narrative 'Short History of Operations on Active Service of Major Importance' which gives six pages of the Battalion's actions from the lost diary. Happy to scan and post if you wish.

Roy

Roy

The same thing happened with my 9th SF. One officer survived the war and wrote a few pages. The two officers tasked with keeping a note of the Battalions 'doings' were both killed on Gallipoli.

I would appreciate copies please. I have used the brigade papers to research so far.

Stevem

morse.steve@btinternet.com

Steve,

I'll scan and post the pages during the coming week.

Roy

Roy

The same thing happened with my 9th SF. One officer survived the war and wrote a few pages. The two officers tasked with keeping a note of the Battalions 'doings' were both killed on Gallipoli.

I would appreciate copies please. I have used the brigade papers to research so far.

Stevem

morse.steve@btinternet.com

Steve,

Page 1 of 7

Page 2;

Page 3

Page 4

Page 5

Page 6

Last page

Roy

Would it be possible to look up the details in 1/South Staffordshire war diary for 3rd, 4th, 5th November 1914?

Much appreciated.

Regards

Ken

Ken,

For some reason, I don't seem to have those pages. I'll call-in at the museum to get another copy.

Roy

Roy,Ken

No diary exists for 1st - 9th Novemeber 1914. At this period of time the Btn had received 80% casualties and existed in name only. Of the 1,100 men making up the Btn when they landed in October,only 78 remained,every officer had either been killed or wounded and only one NCO was left to bring them out of action. A large price was paid by the Staffords at 1st Battle of Ypre,barring the Germans march to the coast.

Regards Doug.

Ken,

For some reason, I don't seem to have those pages. I'll call-in at the museum to get another copy.

Roy

Morning Roy

That's very kind of you - far beyond the call of duty!!

Many thanks

Ken