Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South Staffordshire's War Diaries

Roy Evans

Hi,

Also, if you wouldnt mind, could you post the 1/5th South Staffords war diary extract for the 1st July 1916 (1st day of the Somme).

Members of my family are visiting France in a couple of weeks and are wanting to visit the trenches, etc. where he fell.

Many thanks,

Graham.

OK Graham,

I'll post it tomorrow. The area that you are interested in is GOMMECOURT.

Roy

OK Graham,

I'll post it tomorrow. The area that you are interested in is GOMMECOURT.

Roy

There are entries for 1st July on 4 pages, the first being the daily entry, the others being an appendix.

Here is page 1.

Page 2 (first of the appendix)

Page 3

Page 4

Much obliged Roy! It certainly makes interesting reading. If you find anything else relating to John Burns, please let me know.

Thanks again

Graham.

Much obliged Roy! It certainly makes interesting reading. If you find anything else relating to John Burns, please let me know.

Thanks again

Graham.

Mention of any individual other than an officer in the war diary is quite unusual. There is no JOHN Burns mentioned by name , only a Pte. R. Burns and a Pte. A. Burns.

Roy

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Roy

Could you please do a look up in the 8th Btn diary for the 10/7/16,researching a man KIA that day.

Regards Doug.

Doug,

I'll scan and post tomorrow. They were in a big bash on 9th and 10th in the vicinity of my favourite French cafe.

Roy

Doug,

I'll scan and post tomorrow. They were in a big bash on 9th and 10th in the vicinity of my favourite French cafe.

Roy

Thanks Roy I thought they might have been :)

Regards Doug

Doug,

Three pages scanned, note that the 10th July can only be identified from he times shown on the left of page 2.

Thanks very much Roy :)

Regards Doug.

• 2 months later...

Roy

do you have the diary entries for last week September - 1st week October 1914 for the 2nd SouthStaffs on the Aisne - in and out of the line around Soupir I believe

much appreciated

david

Roy

do you have the diary entries for last week September - 1st week October 1914 for the 2nd SouthStaffs on the Aisne - in and out of the line around Soupir I believe

much appreciated

david

Yes I do have the diary, I'll scan and post the pages in the next day or two.

Roy

David,

Last week of September 1914 (page 1)

30th September

First week October

Hi Roy,

I am new to forum's and a novice when it comes to researching military history!

My father was named after an uncle who was killed in WW1, I managed to locate his grave via the CWGC website and propose to visit the grave with my father next month.

I would like to spend a couple of days in the region and ideally establish the likely circumstances/location of my great uncles death in advance.

His details are as follows:

Pte Percy Douglas KENNARD b.07/03/1899 (Brighton, E.Sussex)

Service No. 43587

2nd/6th Bn. South Staffordshire Regiment

I believe he was killed on the 2nd May 1918 and currently lies in the war cemetery at Klein-Vietstraat, Kemmel, Belgium. Plot V. D. 17. I believe this plot location indicates he may have been moved to this cemetery following the armistice?

I am aware that it is unlikely my great uncle would have been named within the Battalion war diary but I would be very interested to learn where and what the unit where engaged in on the 2nd May 1918?

Any assistance you could provide would be very much appreciated,

Thanking you in anticipation,

Damon Kennard

Hi Damon

My Great grandad served in this battalion,so I have a particular interest.

The Battalion were at this point a training cadre and were in reserve in May 1918 at Reninheist, they were occupied as a working party of 300 men and 3 officers under instruction from the Royal Engineers in the Reninheist-Ouderom reserve line.

The diary records that on the 1st of May the party came under "slight enemy shelling".

The diary records on the 2nd May the following-

"3 Off. 300 O.R. working party under R.E. supervision. - 1 O.R. killed."

I presume that as the enemy were shelling the party on the 1st May,they were again shelling on the 2nd killing your Great Uncle, as on the 3rd May 7 O.R. were killed. He was one of the very last men to be killed in action with the 2/6th as on the 5th May they came out of the line for the last time.

I don't know whether you already have this information but SDGW records that your G.Uncle served as 51493 in the Suffolk Rgt before being transfered to the Staffords.

Regards Doug

Hi Doug,

Fascinating and such a quick response, amazing!

Also a bit of a strange feeling learning of the circumstances at last! Do you happen to know what O. R means? Namely, "1 O. R killed".

I shall have to research the Reninheist-Ouderom reserve line prior to my visit.

Thankyou for your assistance,

Damon

Damon

O.R. means other rank (not an officer)

Regards Doug.

Doug is correct (as ever), nothing that I can add on your GU's last day but the war diary entry which covers his last front-line action is below;

I believe he was killed on the 2nd May 1918 and currently lies in the war cemetery at Klein-Vietstraat, Kemmel, Belgium. Plot V. D. 17. I believe this plot location indicates he may have been moved to this cemetery following the armistice?

Damon,

The Klein Vierstraat British Cemetery was begun in January 1917 and used until January 1918 and then again in April 1918. Casualties were indeed moved here from two other cemeteries but the dates do correspond with your GU's death. We can be fairly confident that your GU was buried directly into this cemetery.

Roy

Doug is correct (as ever), nothing that I can add on your GU's last day but the war diary entry which covers his last front-line action is below;

Roy,

Many thanks for the diary entry, from this and other postings I have read it sounds as if my GU's battalion had a pretty torrid time of it during April 1918.

I had initially planned a visit to the cemetery and then head down to the Normandy beaches for a few days but this research has really brought it home to me how little I knew about WW1. I find it tragic yet fascinating and consequently will focus my trip on Ypres.

I very much appreciate your assistance.

Regards

Damon