Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Memorials in Ireland

Guest wrighty

Thanks everyone.

the reason i asked was that someone told me that Ireland had no monument until 1994?

Perhaps, could it have been national monument like the cenotaph in London?

Anyway the story was, that as the rest of Europe was gathering in normandy for the 50th D-Day anniversary every nation, whose troops were there that day, was represented by its head of state except for Ireland. So feeling a bit miffed and left out the Irish government commissioned a national monument dedicated to all the Irishmen that fell in both world wars.

is this true or terribly exaggerated or wrong?

the reason i asked was that someone told me that Ireland had no monument until 1994?

Anyway the story was, that as the rest of Europe was gathering in normandy for the 50th D-Day anniversary every nation, whose troops were there that day, was represented by its head of state except for Ireland. So feeling a bit miffed and left out the Irish government commissioned a national monument dedicated to all the Irishmen that fell in both world wars.

Like all stories, there is a grain of truth in this. The Irish Memorial at Messines in Belgium, to those who died in the Great War, was built as the result of a North/South joint project of reconciliation, and opened by President Mary McAleese, in the presence of Queen Elizabeth and King Albert, on 10th November, 1998.

It had nothing to do with being "miffed" at being left out of the D-Day celebrations!. The Irish Government wouldn't have expected to be there, even though an estimated 78,000 volunteers from the Irish Free State, as it then was, served in the British armed forces in WW II.

There are many war memorials in the Irish Republic. I have recorded over 200 and there are many more, most of them to the Great War but many to WW II. The biggest is the National War Memorial in Dublin, opened in the 1930s, and here is a photo.

Michael

post-3328-1127942790.jpg

I was very pleased to read about the memorial to Cornelius Coughlan, V.C., too. However, this is not strictly a war memorial. Sergeant Major (or Colour Sergeant) Coughlan died in Westport, Co. Mayo on 14th February, 1915, aged 86.

Of course, you might have guessed that he wasn't involved in the Great War, his V.C. having been won in 1857!

Michael

• 2 weeks later...