Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mr & Mrs Taylor of Lincoln.

sandyford

Kate,

Some more information on Thomas Peacock Ada's father.

In the 1881 census he is shown as widowed. In the December quarter 1881 he marries Amy Oxby who appears on the same address as Annie Oxby in the 1881 census.

After the birth of Joseph he is born in the March quarter of 1895 and Amy's death is recoeded in the June quarter of the same year.

In the June quarter of 1886 Thomas marries a Emma Harrison who appears on the 1891 census.

This marriage was to last 3 years as Emma dies in the June quarter 1899 age 50 this tallies with the census.

Thomas then marries again this time to an Elizabeth Wallhead in the June quarter of 1900.

I'm still trying to find the identity of Thomas's first wife.

Ali

Found him on the 1871 census living in Norton Disney

Thomas Peacock Head Age 26 Gamekeeper

Mary Ann Wife Age 31

Mary Ann Dau Age 11 months

ETA Mary Ann died in December quarter of 1880. It seems on each occasion Thomas has remarried within the year.

Anyway all loose ends tied up.

Ali

Edited by Alibee

Ali

What a sad life for Thomas Peacock and all his children. As we have found, if a wife died it was necessary for the husband to marry again and fairly quickly because of the practicalities of looking after the children.

It sounds as though Thomas Peacock may have conformed to the gamekeeper sterotype. I don't suppose any of those wives were titled, were they? :D

You are certainly a star researcher!

Kate

Hi Kate,

As you have got the rest here he is on the 1901 census with wife number 4

Thomas Peacock Head age 58 Farmer

Elizabeth Wife age 50 Farmers Wife

Thomas Son age13 Farmers son

John R Wilkinson Son in law age 25 Waggoner on Farm

Emily Wilkinson Dau age 24

Herbert Wallhead Son age 16 agricultural labourer

Albert Wallhead Grand son age 3

So now Thomas has gone from employee to employer. All his natural children apart from Thomas have left home. He has fathered 12 children from 4 wives. At least 1 dying in infancy.

Ali

Ali

I am going to get all this information together into a family document, which I never expected to be able to do when I posted the picture.

We have a lot of information about both families, location and employment.

Albert Wallhead - grandson is interesting. It looks as though he belongs to Herbert but possibly he is the son of another son of Elizabeth's.

Kate

Kate,

I feel he is a son of a son. I have found Elizabeth on the 1891 census if you want that information let me know.

Not had much time to work on that yet. Let me know if you want any more info. Its amazing what can be found. Wish my lot were this easy!! :lol:

Best wishes

Ali

Yes please Ali.

I presume Elizabeth is with her first husband in 1891.

Although I haven't compiled this yet, from what you have told me, it looks as though Ada was 7 when her mother died, and 13 when her stepmother died and 17 when her 2nd stepmother died.

Of course she had left home by then and she herself married Herbert Taylor in 1898, when she was 25.

It is interesting that Amy is at the same address as Annie Oxby in '91 and is presumably related.

As you say - an interesting family to research starting from a photo, a surname and an address.

You were very skilful to suss out the remarriages. A less experienced person could have left it that Emma in 1891 was a mistype for Elizabeth in 1901.

Kate

I presume Elizabeth is with her first husband in 1891.

Yes thats right and also in 1881. Will do that later.

It is interesting that Amy is at the same address as Annie Oxby in '91 and is presumably related.

I feel Annie and Amy Oxby are the same person as there are no other mentions of an Annie

You were very skilful to suss out the remarriages. A less experienced person could have left it that Emma in 1891 was a mistype for Elizabeth in 1901.

I almost did but curiousity got the better of me!!

Ok will post the other census info later.

Ali

Kate,

Finally kicked the children off the computer! Elizabeth Wallhead on the 1891 census.

George Wallhead Head age 47 Foreman agricultural

Elizabeth Wife age 40

Edward Son age 18 Labourer agricultural

Olive Dau age 12 Scholar

Ada dau age 10 scholar

Fred son age 7 scholar

Herbert son age 6 scholar

Henry Curtis Serv age 22 Farm servant

Charles Broughton Serv age 15 Farm Servant.

All were living at Longhills in the village of Branston.

Best wishes

Ali

Ali

If I asked you to tell me George Wallhead's favourite colour, I bet you would come up trumps. Amazing work!

Same here with the computer. I can usually time on the computer in the morning and late at night and any time football or cricket is on.

What strikes me about all the census research that you have done in this thread, is that a lot can happen in 10 years.

I know we are always reminded that each census is a snap shot in time but Thomas Peacock and Elizabeth Wallhead certainly bring this point home.

If we were to start looking backwards for Thomas Peacock's marriage based on the age of the oldest children living with him and the name of his wife, we would quickly think we had reached an impasse.

Thank you so much.

Kate

Just to check whether Scottie, Roop, Steve Frank and John are still with us - and I bet they are not -

A very faded picture of convalescent soldiers taken on a walk to Cobb Hall.

The convalescent place in Boston was called Allen or Allan or Aln House.

I have also found out from the Lincoln Directory of 1919 that the 4th Northern General Hospital was in Wragby Road - or at least the administration was. The directory lists Colonel & Captain and the surgeons with military ranks as the administrative staff.

I had always presumed that 4th Northern general was a pre war hospital and would have had civilian staff, even though the patients were military. However I know that the surgeon who operated on my father was referred to as Major.

Just another designation and organisational matter I hadn't thought through.

Kate

post-2045-1128203496.jpg

Ali

If I asked you to tell me George Wallhead's favourite colour, I bet you would come up trumps. Amazing work!

Ahem I would be guessing at blue!!! :lol: the only thing I can't check out.

I know we are always reminded that each census is a snap shot in time but Thomas Peacock and Elizabeth Wallhead certainly bring this point home.

If we were to start looking backwards for Thomas Peacock's marriage based on the age of the oldest children living with him and the name of his wife, we would quickly think we had reached an impasse.

Yes most definately and also not being able to identify him fully. In my case I started at the 1881 census identified the right family and moved forward. It did help that each new wife was married just before the census and not after. Very considerate of them :lol:I love the new picture.

Best wishes

Ali

Still here and following The Norton Disney connection was interesting the estate has now been broken up but has not changed greatly in the intervening years.

Cobb Hall is of course still accessible if one visits the Castle and is not too far from the 4th Northern which is now Christ Hospital School, it being a hospital since medievil times before becoming a school in the 19th century (?).

Roop

Well done, Roop.

Your comments on Norton Disney are interesting. I had always thought that the Peacocks would live in an estate cottage.

Presumably Peacock Cottage, Ashby de la Laund, is also an estate cottage but they are not in the same area are they?

Do you mean that 4th Northern General Hospital was a hospital before becoming a school and then it was commandeered by the military for the wounded and has reverted to being a school or medical school now?

I think the directory for 1919 had T.A. beside the name of the hospital.

Also is Wragby Rd. one of the terraces off the side of Steep Hill, near to the top?

Kate

Ashby is somewhat south east of Notrton Disney and would be about a days travel by cart and possessions. As you say both are estate villages.

4th Northern is today a school but had its origins as a hospital hence its name. Something to do with the Templers I believe, when it became a scool is unknown but presumed to be in Victorian times. Graham McAdam (forumite) will know he has taught there until recently.

The 4th Northern covered many sites in and around Lincoln, Wragby Road is one of the main radial roads from the old city eastwards to the coast. It is not terraced hosing but mainly late 20's & 30's semis and council estate. The hospital originally being built outside the city for travellers and to prevent pestilence being broght within the walls.

Roop

Roop

Graham McAdam & I have already been discussing 4th Northern General in connection with the nursing staff.

He showed me some wonderful photos of the nurses, patients and wards. We were both hopeful that my mother's diary might refer to his relative or my father's ward might be on his pictures but this was not the case.

The photos he had were wonderful.

My father spoke very well to my mother about the nursing at 4th Northern General. He particularly mentioned Nurse/Sister Kinghorn. He took my mother to try to see Nurse Kinghorn in 1918 but she was not on duty.

Probably the nurses may have lived in the hospital, because the Kinghorn family are definitely not in the City of Lincoln directory and might be anywhere on earlier censuses.

Kate