Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

60th Siege Battery RGA

Guest pelgrim

Hello,

I have found this tazza on a second hand market and I hope some one can help me with the history of it ?

It Says;

To

M & Mme Gilbert

from the Officers of

60th Siege Battery,

R.G.A.

June 1919

Kind regards,

Robert-jan

Netherlands

post-8167-1127823042.jpg

post-8167-1127823164.jpg

Pelgrim,

60th(Siege)Battery,R.G.A. was formed at Lydd on the 11th September 1915 from the surplus personnel of 35th, 39th, 46th, 47th, 48th & 50th(Siege)Battery's,R.G.A.

In November 1918 60th(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. was equipped with 4x 6inch guns and serving unbrigaded in the 1st Army.

Graham.

• 18 years later...

I have a photograph of a M. Gilbert in an album of photographs of the 60th Seige Battery R.G.A. taken at Mons in 1918. He and his family may have been the owners of the house used as the H.Q. of XXII Corps. H. A. .

Mons HQ Full page.JPG

Gilbert.JPG

Marta & Boyd.JPG

Edited by high wood
Adding photographs.

The album was once owned by James William Kaye (1899-1990), who was commissioned into the Royal Garrison Artillery on the 20th September 1918. He was stationed at Mons from November 1918 until May 1919. During this time he travelled around the Belgian and French battlefields taking photographs of ruined villages and cemeteries as well as of his fellow 60th Seige Battery officers. He spent April 1919 on leave in Cumberland before being posted to Cologne in May 1919. James william Kaye went on to have a long career in the Royal Artillery.

The R.G.A. officers in this photograph are named as: Barry, Orr, Boyd and Shelton.

Barry was Robert James Barry who was originally a gunner in the R.G.A. 22952 and served in France from 19th January 1915 before being commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the R.G.A. on the 22nd February 1916. His military career ended when he was cashiered at some point after the war, but I cannot find the details.

60th Officers.JPG

Ashton, Johnstone and Barry. Only Barry appears to be wearing medal ribbons.

Ashton Johnstone Barry.JPG

Edited by high wood

Captain Robert James Barry. 60th Siege Battery. Royal Garrison Artillery.

A J Barry.JPG

Barry drinking.JPG

Edited by high wood

During his time in Belgium James Kaye visited the battlefields with his fellow officers. In these photographs he visited the Ypres Salient, the album states that they were taken on 25th March 1919. The first two photographs are of the Lille Gate and the third is of the Menin Gate.

Ypres.JPG

Lille Gate CU.JPG

Menin Gate.JPG