Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

V C

InkyBill

This should be intresting-

Does anyone know when the last British holder of a VC to be awarded during WW1 died, I suppose it was in the 1970's or 80's, If so who was he and why was it awarded.

Bill

Off the top of my head the last Australian WW1 VC winner that died was Donovan Joynt in the mid 1980's. Joynt also wrote two books about his experiences. The first was 'Saving the Channel Ports' and the second was 'Breaking the Road for a Rest'

This was what he was awarded the VC for

'On 23 August 1918 at Herleville Wood, near Chuignes, Peronne, France, Lieutenant Joynt took charge when his company commander had been killed. When the leading battalion had been demoralized by heavy casualties, he rushed forward and reorganized the remnants of the battalion. Having discovered that heavy fire on the flanks was causing delay and casualties, he led a frontal bayonet attack on the wood, thus saving a critical situation. Later, at Plateau Wood, after severe hand-to-hand fighting, he turned a stubborn defence into an abject surrender. He was subsequently badly wounded by a shell.'

From the Victoria Cross website

I believe it was Edward Cooper VC of the KRRC, who got his VC at Langemarck in August 1917; he died in the mid-1980s.