Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Loos 26 September 2005

Moriaty

I've just come back from an amazing long weekend in Loos - the ceremony on Sunday morning was very moving and it was extraordinary to hear the sound of the pipes in the streets of Loos.

However, I was amazed when going into the town square in Loos on the Monday to find that the circus had arrived. There was a hippo, tigers, ostriches and camels... a very different picture from the day before when the square was full of soldiers, pipers, drummers, Chums and relatives of the fallen. I think my grandfather who was killed at Loos would have enjoyed it!

Moriaty

Hello Moriaty

Are you sure that the circus was not actually a "special" event laid on for the local chasse?

Andy :D

And for those who do not know the area, the slag heap in the background of Terry's second picture is part of the immense Double Crassier, very much larger now than it was in 1915.

A great weekend with a memorable ceremony shown by Terry's photographs with perfect weather for it. Sorry that I did not see you Terry for a chat.

Andy

After the ceremony in Loos British Cemetery there was a ceremony in Auchiex Les Mines, the nearest town to the Hohenzollern redoubt.

Here we have the Pipe bands of the London Scottish and The London Irish Rifles in the streets of Auchiex just before the ceremony with a lone piper of the Black Watch soon to play the lament

post-1871-1127856395.jpg

Hi Andy,

Spent a fair bit of time at the redoubt on the Friday. There is still the earth pile there although the area of the craters has been left alone.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Spent a fair bit of time at the redoubt on the Friday. There is still the earth pile there although the area of the craters has been left alone.

Andy

Thanks Andy

I will be making my regular visit to the Redoubt in October to leave the traditional Cuban cigar for my GGrandad who is now part of the landscape (see signature), that is if I can get past the legendary "Beast of Auchy".

Andy

The weather was superb until today. We spent monday travelling the Loos battlefield and today went to Notre Damme de Lorette, Vimy, Cabaret Souchet, Indian Memorial and Estaires to pay my respects to Johnnie Gough. Unfortunately it was raining a lot of the time.

Andy

I too was at Loos for the commemorations on Sunday, in the company of fellow Baker's Pals Martin and Kate Wills, Charles Fair and Niall Cherry.

It is perhaps appropriate to mention that another member of the forum, Peter Last, had the original idea for the commemorations for the 90th Anniversary of the Battle of Loos. It was due to his tireless efforts and 9 months of planning that pulled everything together for the weekend. He deserves our thanks for helping to ensure that the men who fought in the forgotten battle of Loos were remembered.

Hi Andrew,

I could not agree more, Peter's tireless efforts enabled this event to take place. It was good to meet you at Loos.

Andy

Hi Andrew,

I could not agree more, Peter's tireless efforts enabled this event to take place. It was good to meet you at Loos.

Andy

Hello Andy!

It was good to meet you as well. It is so good to be able to put a face to a name when you use a forum like this. I hope Peter is more relaxed now! :D

Best Wishes

Andrew

Peter Last being made I believe an Honoury Citizen of Loos by the Mayor of Loos

post-1871-1127904261.jpg

Hi Andrew,

Yes, it is good to put a face to a name. Re Peter, I think if he had any hair to pull out he would not have any now, or less than he actually has now. He seemed a little more relaxed on Monday but I am sure he will take a little time to properly unwind.

Andy

It is well-deserved honour for Peter. He is passionate about remembering the soldiers who fought at Loos during the Great War and his efforts in organising the commemorative events have been, it is fair to say, herculian. I know how frustrating it was for him at times to get various units and agencies to participate and that the ceremonies happened at all is down to him and Isabelle's perseverance in the face of (on occassion) indifference.

I was there too - though as a new WFA member I don't know any faces. I am an ex member of the London Jocks so I marched in the Loos parade and the one later in the day up at Auchy-les-mines, and we followed the Laidlaw party on the Saturday. It was a great weekend - I got quite sunburnt! They were staying at our hotel so we got to see the famous VC up close.

The visit was of special significance to me as my g-uncle Pte Frank Maker No 2 Co, 4 Gren Gds was KIA on 27 Sep 1915 in the attack on Hill 70. He has no known grave (in common with most of them) and is commeorated on the Dud Corner Memorial.