The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Pryce McDonald 20576

AthollHighlander

My ongoing research has brought me some conflicting info and wondered if anyone had any views or advise on the following:

WPM was, according to local press and The Morayshire role of Honour reported "wounded and missing". Is this likely to suggest he was confirmed as wounded by someone who may have been with him but was subsequently "missing" after the ongoing German bombardment and advance. I just wondered why he wasn't simply reported as missing?

I also notice all sources such as CGWC and local press in addition to his memorial entry at Elgin cemetery state he was a private. However his entry in the Morayshire role of honour stated he was a L/Cpl! Presumably a compiling error! Is this a common occurence?

The role also states that he served with the Cameron and Gordon Highlanders? I've never heard the term used before. It was printed locally around 1921 and is contempory to the era . Can anyone advise ?

I'm also being sent a copy of his MIC but regrettably I've been told there's not much info on it.

Thanks

Atholl

I think the designation "wounded and missing" would have reulted from questions asked at Roll-Call after action. The man must have been absent, and therefore missing, but a comrade may have added further information - that he had seen the missing man wounded, but alive.

"Missing, last seen wounded and alive" would have been a clearer description of what was being inferred, I think.

Tom

I think the designation "wounded and missing" would have reulted from questions asked at Roll-Call after action.  The man must have been absent, and therefore missing, but a comrade may have added further information - that he had seen the missing man wounded, but alive.

"Missing, last seen wounded and alive" would have been a clearer description of what was being inferred, I think.

Tom

Thanks for that Tom, probably recorded concisely at the time understandably.

Atholl