Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

liverpool regiment

delph105

Can anyone tell me what battalion of the liverpool regiment my great grandfather was in? Or where i can find out his number was 94628 from the medals list Alfred Collins but it only states liverpool regiment not a battalion.

Any help gratefully received i am at a loss!

Thanks delphi

Delphi,

If you contact the Museum of Liverpool Life, they have a huge database of men who served with the King's Liverpool Regiment. It may be that your great grandfather is on that list. You will find the contact details on their website http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/liverpoollife/contact.asp

I have checked the Soldiers Died in The Great War CD and found that the two numbers directly after your great grandfather's (94629 & 94630) were both killed serving with the 13th Battalion of the King's, and both had previously served in the South Lancashire Regt. Some numbers prior to his (94614 & 94618) were also transferees from the South Lancs to the King's Liverpool Regiment, one to the 13th ansd one to the 7th Bn.

I would say that your g/grandfather served firstly in the South Lancs Regt, then transferred to the King's, probably to the 13th Bn. All of the above men died in 1918, suggesting to me that the number correspond with quite late enlistments. The fact that the South Lancashire Regt is not mentiioned on his Medal Index Card suggests that he originally served with the South Lancs and transferred from that regiment prior to his first overseas posting.

I would add to the above that there is no guarantee that he served with the 13th Battalion, as transfers from one battalion to another, even to different regiments, were very common. But, based on the information to hand, the 13th Battalion looks likely.

You could, if you haven't done it already, check to see whether your relative's service record has survived at the National Archives, Kew, London. If it has (and only about a third have) there may be lots of details in it, not simply his battalion.

I hope that helps.

Ken

Delphi,

If you contact the Museum of Liverpool Life, they have a huge database of men who served with the King's Liverpool Regiment. It may be that your great grandfather is on that list. You will find the contact details on their website http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/liverpoollife/contact.asp

I have checked the Soldiers Died in The Great War CD and found that the two numbers directly after your great grandfather's (94629 & 94630) were both killed serving with the 13th Battalion of the King's, and both had previously served in the South Lancashire Regt. Some numbers prior to his (94614 & 94618) were also transferees from the South Lancs to the King's Liverpool Regiment, one to the 13th ansd one to the 7th Bn.

I would say that your g/grandfather served firstly in the South Lancs Regt, then transferred to the King's, probably to the 13th Bn. All of the above men died in  1918, suggesting to me that the number correspond with quite late enlistments. The fact that the South Lancashire Regt is not mentiioned on his Medal Index Card suggests that he originally served with the South Lancs and transferred from that regiment prior to his first overseas posting.

I would add to the above that there is no guarantee that he served with the 13th Battalion, as transfers from one battalion to another, even to different regiments, were very common. But, based on the information to hand, the 13th Battalion looks likely.

You could, if you haven't done it already, check to see whether your relative's service record has survived at the National Archives, Kew, London. If it has (and only about a third have) there may be lots of details in it, not simply his battalion.

I hope that helps.

Ken

Hi Ken

Thanks for your comments they were very helpful. I have bought a copy of the kings Liverpool Regiment 1914-1918 by Everard Wyrall through the Naval and military press www.naval-military-press.com tel 01825 749494 and this has been quite useful and informative for background information. I know my grandfather joined up at the start of the war but spent quite alot of time in Blackpool, where he met my great grandmother.He was a stretcher bearer in the war and saw active service in france. Can you tell me if you volunteered to be a stretcher bearer or if you were given this post and if so were you given to a regiment and if you had any medical training? I know he finished the war in Belgium and was placed with a belgium family for a short period and learnt chess there but apart from bringing home a grenade that he kept on the mantel piece he never really talked about the war.Will try the avenues you have supplied but thankyou again for your help.

Delphi

I would think that there were a few different ways to become a stretcher bearer. They were unlikely to have had much in the way of medical experience prior to the war as men with that kind of experience would have been more likely to join the Royal Army Medical Corps.

Once in their infantry battalion, they would have been allocated one of the many tasks that were necessary. I suppose being a very poor marksman may have helped! Perhaps he put himself forward when they called for volunteers. The possibilities are endless.

As a stretcher bearer he would have had a little rudimentary training in first aid, but not much. His job was one which required more courage than many people assume as his job in the danger areas was never finished until the last casualty had been evacuated.

Good luck in your search for more information. Let us know how you get on.

Regards,

Ken