Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Seeking help with Lancashire Fusiliers WWI

Guest mwfoster

I'm a first time user here looking for help in getting started. I'm trying to research my Grandfather, William Foster, who always spoke about being in the Lancashire Fusiliers during WWI. He would tell me how he was gassed and shot through the throat, captured by the Germans, and forced to work in the salt mines until the end of the war.

The only factual information I have are his two medals which are inscribed "3/10544 Pte. W. Foster R. IR. RIF.", and a letter from the King welcoming him home after the war.

I have already contacted the MOD who informed me that in all probability his records were destroyed in 1940. They referred me to the Lancashire Fusiliers Museum but since I live in the States, that is impractical.

I have also tried researching the medal rolls but did not see his service number.

I'm confused by the inscriptions on his medals referring to the Royal Irish Rifles and would appreciate any help that can be provided.

Thank you

Mark

His medals are from the Royal Irish Rifles:

Here's his MIC to download:

Medal card of Foster, William

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Irish Rifles 3/10544 Private

No mention of Lancs Fusiliers...

Cost is £3.50 to download.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...1&resultcount=3

Steve.

Steve,

Thanks for your reply. I've just ordered and downloaded the medal card. It's pretty self explanatory except for the info in the lower right hand corner. Where would I look to figure out what all that means?

Thanks again,

Mark

If you use the PDF reader to take a snapshot of the remarks section, you can paste that into a graphics program and post it here so we can have a look (you will probably need to reduce the image size as well).

There are usually 2 different types of things in the box.

Fate of the soldier : KIA, DoW, POW, Class Z Reserve, etc.

References to long-lost correspondence over medals if they didn't find their way to the soldier smoothly. These were usually accompanied by long references with lots of "/" in them.

Steve.