Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army Reserve Class Z

William Bryce

Hello All,

In researching my father, whom I believe to have been in a Signal Company of the Royal Engineers, I have come across a Medal Index Card for a William Bryce, Regt. No. 57639, Royal Engineers, Sapper. In the Remarks column, it has the following: " 2 Res 16 sig (or s19)". Can anyone tell me what these remarks mean?

Thanks for any assistance,

Bill

Might is say

Z Res 16 5 19 ??

i.e. to Class Z Reserve 16 May 1919.

I'm sure someone can define Z Reserve accurately but I think it means demobilised but not discharged - discharge followed sometime later

Jock

Thanks Jock and Kilty. I believe that's what it does say.

Was putting a man in Z Reserve common for returning soldiers at the end of the war or was it a personal decision of the soldier? How long would a man be under this classification? My father was listed on the 1920 Liverpool Electoral Rolls as living at his home address but being absent on military service.

Bill

Bill,

I think Class Z was pretty standard for duration only men at the end of the war. I've seen a guy go Class Z on 29 May 19 and not be actually discharged until 31 Mar 20 - but during this time he was not paid by the army and was free to take up civil employment.

But others are better qualified than I to answer this one.

Jock

The transfer to the Class Z Reserve took place immediately on the expiration of a man's demobilization leave. As Jock has mentioned, he was free to take up employment and received no payment for being on the reserve. There were some exceptions to this. Men serving on TF engagements and regular soldiers who were finally discharged at the end of their contract. Men who served in the TF, but not on pre-war engagements, were transferred to the Z Reserve (T).

The Z Reserve was finally stood down (I think) some time in late 1920, all though in effect it made little difference to those men who had been transferred to it.

Terry Reeves

• spof changed the title to Army Reserve Class Z