Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

RND HAWKE BADGE

MACRAE

:ph34r: Okay gang have i bought a DUD or a good un give me your thoughts on this please.

Dan

I think you've managed to get yourself a good one. Most fakes have a head like the one I show, note the crest, it's not on originals. Another nice thing is the Gaunt tablet on the back, however in this day not an infallible mark.

The shoulder title has the flat hexagonal fixings that I like to see on WW1 stuff.

I think you done well, lucky s*d.

I can also post a genuine versus fake Nelson Bn. if anyone's interested. Just to point out the pitfalls.

post-4275-1127670739.jpg

I can also post a genuine versus fake Nelson Bn. if anyone's interested. Just to point out the pitfalls.

Please do Jim. It's a shame that Hawke seems to be one of the more easily obtainable RND badges and would like to see a genuine Anson, Howe & Hood all with the Gaunt plate. I've got a Gaunt plated Drake which is so thick it appears to be two layers of brass (or g/m) sweated together and then the w/m ship overlay applied. Am I correct here that all the RND badges came with loops and never a slider?

Keith

looks good to me

i had a very similar one with the same gaunt plate

The Nelson Bn badges. The one on the left is genuine with a Gaunt tablet the one on the right is the fake. The major difference is in the title bar.

I'm not sure about the sliders Keith but I'm always a bit wary of them.

post-4275-1127752324.jpg

The Nelson Bn badges. The one on the left is genuine with a Gaunt tablet the one on the right is the fake. The major difference is in the title bar.

I'm not sure about the sliders Keith but I'm always a bit wary of them.

Excellent tips - how about the other RND? I know that the Howe copies lack the voids in the crown but what about the others?

Alan

Howe Bn. Again the good one on the left. It supports Alan's view about the voiding.

Unfortunately this one doen't have the Gaunt tablet but I believe it to be Gaunt made.

post-4275-1127827126.jpg

Hood Bn.

The fakers did a good job with this one, the major differences being in the bird's

wing and tail. Also note the 6 segments to the torse on the genuine badge.

post-4275-1127827449.jpg

Excellent thread, I would be interested also in seeing the other RND badges posted on this thread.

Here's Drake. This is not a particularly good stamping as the two sections of the die are a fraction out giving it the impression of two badges joined together. What is does make clear is the thickness of the badge and looking at the rear the strength of the metal. I'm surpised there's no sweathole for the w/m overlay though.

Keith

Oh, there's some nice stuff here, and some stinkers!

The most obvious point about the restrikes is the use of yellow brass rather than the correct (and darker, redder) gilding metal that was specified for 'proper' badges.

If it looks wrong, it probably is....

Caveat emptor

Graeme

I have always believed this to be genuine. Any thoughts?

Thanks

post-76-1127892408.jpg

Thanks

I have always been under the impression from John gaylor's book that these badges were made by the RND thenselves using their brass shoulder titles added to the normal MGC badge. If so then I would expect to see evidence of the original lugs of the title. If Gaylor was wrong and they were factory made then perhaps not. Anyway a hard one to authenticate as easily faked.

Anyone know best?

Thanks

Got one just the same, don't like it! As Alan says these were locally made using the RND shoulder title. That D is all wrong. I'm not sure there would have been evidence of the lugs, bring on a real one somebody :blink:

Hood Bn.

The fakers did a good job with this one, the major differences being in the bird's

One thing I did notice with close examination is that the torse on the copy connects with the edge of the scroll while the original does not.

Side by side picture of a good Hawke and a bad chicken, he really looks like he should be in a horror show (Ebay perhaps B) ).

Along with Nelson probably the easiest of the fakes to spot, you can't fail to spot that head along with quite a few more not so subtle differences.

post-4275-1128427561.jpg

post-4655-1128677245.jpg

Hood Bn.

Just to elaborate on Jim's excellent thread this is a picture of my latest aquisition. The key points are indeed the torse and the wing.

Anyone have a genuine Anson badge? Im interested to see the differences with the restrikes

A difficult one. I have certainly seen aged restrikes that are indistinguishable from the real thing except for the Gaunt plate and even these are not immune from meddling with.

See here - http://freespace.virgin.net/jack.clegg/

click on 'The RND' and then go about halfway down the page for a photograph of an Anson badge

This was also reproduced on the front cover of Len Sellers’ magazine ‘RND’ Issue No.18, Sept 2001

Regards

Michael D.R.

Interesting but I still can't see any differnces from the copies i am afraid. However I don't like his example of the Hawke Bn badge as it has all the traits exhibited in the copies. His Nelson one is interesting in that it has the sloped first N in the Nelson title but the separate flag unlike the copies where the flag's end is connected to the rest of the ship below.

Alan