Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

37th division, 124th brigade

Guest dafydd

According to some information we have on my grandfather he enlisted on the 9th of Febuary 1916, with the R.F.A.

In a letter(dated 22nd Jan 1919) from his employer offering his job back after his service, he was with the Notts. & Derby, 37th Div., 124th Bde., B BTy., R. Fort.

Could someone please give me any info. about his unit.

in anticipation

many thanks

D. roberts

Sorry, untrained finger!!!. It wos Feb. 1916 he enlisted not 1919 as previously typed.

• 6 months later...
According to some information we have on my grandfather he enlisted on the 9th of Febuary 1916, with the R.F.A.

In a letter(dated 22nd Jan 1919) from his employer offering his job back after his service, he was with the Notts. & Derby, 37th Div., 124th Bde., B BTy., R. Fort.

Could someone please give me any info. about his unit.

in anticipation

many thanks

D. roberts

Sorry, untrained finger!!!. It wos Feb. 1916 he enlisted not 1919 as previously typed.

Hi

My Grandfather Henry George Price was a Sergeant with "D" battery 124th Brigade from July 1915 until the end of the hostilities in 1918. I am producing a record of his war based upon a number of sources including the 124th War Diaries which are available from the National Archive. It is work in progress but does contain notes of the Brigades activities. Would this be helpful?

Richard

I would appreciate knowing the names of the Brigade Commanders

of the 124th Field Brigade RFA with dates of appointment. Does anyone

have this information. Thanks

David Spurr

Below are some details I have found relating to the guns of D battery of the 124th Bde RFA.

The 126th Bde was formed in 1914/15 as a war raised unit of the K4 army. It was a Howitzer

Brigade and at first consisted of A, B, C and D batteries, 4-gun batteries with 4.5 in. Howitzers.

This Bde was posted to the 37th Division by the 15th of April 1915 and embarked for France

at the end of July 1915. Over the course of the war there were some major changes in the

organization of artillery units within the Divisions, Corps and Armies. On 4 Aug 1916 A battery

of the 126th Bde was transferred to become D battery (a howitzer battery) of the 124th Bde.

The field brigades were still 4-gun batteries at that time so there were still more changes to come.

On 31 Aug 1916 a 2-gun section from C Battery from the 126th Bde was transferred to bring

D Battery of the 124th Bde up to 6 guns. After 31 Aug 1916 the 124th Bde consisted of three

6-gun batteries of 18-pounders (A, B and C) and on battery of 4.5 in Howitzers (D battery)

And of the guns of B Battery

The 124th was also a War Raised Unit of the K4 formed in 1914/15. It originally consisted of

A, B, C and D Batteries, each with 4 - 18 Pounders . It also joined the 37th Division in April 1915

and went to France with then 37th at the end of July of that year. On 31 Aug 1916, C Battery was

broken up give A and B batteries six guns each.

David Spurr