The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli : the Story by Lt Casey

The Plummed Goose

Dear Pals,

Forgive me if this subject has already been raised in the past ... I would not be surprised !!! (I know that correctness of the "statue" itself has already been discussed (and slaughtered) on this forum earlier)

If this story is true (and I hope it is ... but might be too good to be true ...) how come that our dearest Charles Bean -who is such a detailled historian- does not mention this ? (I have to admit I don't have his "Mission to Gallipoli" ... yet).

All I can find in on Lt (Later Lord and Gov-Gen of Australia) in the official history is :

25th : midday/early afternoon : After a quick visit to the right, he goes with Bridges to the top of Ariburnu Knoll where they come under fire. (p 299/Volume 1)

26th am : Possibly together with Bridges in Shrapnel and in the afternoon off to the frontline on the right (Lone Pine)with Bridges. Lots of details about Bridges cursing at and gathering stranglers, talk about the "they're-no-damn-good-anyway" trenches and Bridges used as target for the Turks .... But where is the big story ... The story of the Turkish soldier carrying back the Aussie officer to his trench ...

Is there any "hard evidence" of this event ??

eric

Eric,

buy me a beer some time and I will tell you why it is garbage. Even the Turks have finally owned up and changed the inscription on the statue. Stop by the next time you cruise past.

Trust me, it doesn't get a run in Gallipoli Mission either.

Cheers

Bill

see you sometimes this week than ...

eric

You boys, enjoy the beer !

One of the other suspect 'folklore' tales that comes to mind is at the 57th Memorial ....the story of Captain Walters ? I understand that bodies of an Australian and Turkish officer were found when building the memorial park in the 1990's and buried in the presence of both their relatives (see p.177 in Holts).

Can anyone confirm if this is fact or fiction ?

Steve

I searched through three of Casey's own books which mention his time at Gallipoli, specifically looking for a reference to this. Not one of them had anything like the statue story.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tosun Saral
Dear Pals,

Forgive me if this subject has already been raised in the past ... I would not be surprised !!! (I know that correctness of the "statue" itself has already been discussed (and slaughtered) on this forum earlier)

If this story is true (and I hope it is ... but might be too good to be true ...) how come that our dearest Charles Bean -who is such a detailled historian- does not mention this ? (I have to admit I don't have his "Mission to Gallipoli" ... yet).

All I can find in on Lt (Later Lord and Gov-Gen of Australia) in the official history is :

25th : midday/early afternoon : After a quick visit to the right, he goes with Bridges to the top of Ariburnu Knoll where they come under fire. (p 299/Volume 1)

26th am : Possibly together with Bridges in Shrapnel and in the afternoon off to the frontline on the right (Lone Pine)with Bridges.  Lots of details about Bridges cursing at and gathering stranglers, talk about the "they're-no-damn-good-anyway" trenches and Bridges used as target for the Turks .... But where is the big story ... The story of the Turkish soldier carrying back the Aussie officer to his trench ...

Is there any "hard evidence" of this event ??

eric

Eric, You want hard evidance. Evidence is in the quatation of a Great Man called Mustafa Kemal Ataturk.

"You heroes, who spilled their blood and lost their lives here in this land! Now you are lying in the lands of a friendly nation. Rest in peace. For us, there is no difference between our Mehmetciks (Turkish soldiers) and Johnnies who are lying side by side here. You, the Mothers of far lands who had sent your sons to war! Wipe your tears! Your sons are on our bosoms. They are in peace here. After giving their lives on these lands, they have become our children also!"

A son of a nation who can tell such humaniter words can also help a wounded enemy. This is normal for us to Turks. We know how to kill and how to be kind in war and we know how to be like a morning wind in peace.

cheers

Tosun Saral

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/1a62a/1c1cb1/