Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

VAD medal Entitlement

Rob B

Hello,

My wifes Grandmother served as a VAD in the 1st War and from the photos her time was spent at the Military hospital Chatham with some photos appearing of Dublin during the Easter Rising.

The photos we have are of her in white dress and nursing hat with red cross on chest. Where they entitled to an medal entitlement for their service?

Cheers,

Rob

She may,had she served overseas to the then UK{Until 1922 All of Ireland was "British"}have been entitled to the War Medal & Possibly the Victory Medal{& a Star if entering a theatre before 1916,As she apparently served only @ Home then apart from the BRCS War Medal & Possibly other Nursing/Medical Privately issued awards then I doubt she would have received any Official War Medals,

I would suggest you check the Online Medal Index Card @ the National archive ,just in case............

National Archive

Thanks Harry,

Tried for an MIC no joy but will go on.

Cheers,

Rob

If she was a Red Cross VAD, as seems likely from your photo, and served only in the UK, then she may well have been awarded the Red Cross Commemmorative medal. This is a gilt piece hanging from a white ribbon and was meant for those who did not get the War and Victory. BRCS HQ has a roll and can confirm.

Norman