Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Matron J Barclay-Smith

chrisharley9

From ODGW died 28th April 1916. I cannot find this lady on CWGC - is anyone able to furnish any further details please

All The Best

Chris

Chris

Here's her CWGC entry:

Jeanie Barclay Smith

She has a file at the National Archives - WO399/7713

This is a short obituary from the British Journal of Nursing dated 13 May 1916:

We regret to report the following casualty published in the London Gazette:

DIED

Sister J. McP. Barclay-Smith, Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve.

Miss Barclay-Smith was Matron of the 24th General Hospital at Etaples, and her death occurred on April 28th from rheumatic fever. She was the second daughter of Mr. John Smith, of Abelour, Aberdeenshire.

It seems probable that the Barclay, in Scottish tradition, was a family name, and she later adopted it as a hyphenated surname. I'm sure Jim will have a lot more information about her.

Sue

Sue

Many thanks for that

All The Best

Chris

Not a lot to add, I am afraid. She was the daughter of John and Margaret Macpherson Smith of Aberlour, Banffshire. Awarded the R.R.C. A private roll at the National Archives (WO222/2134) shows that she died of endocarditis but I am not medically minded so I don't know if this is the same as rheumatic fever. She is commemorated on the Scottish Military Nursing Services memorial, St.Giles High Kirk, Edinburgh. Her name is in Officers Died In The Great War as J. Barclay-Smith, Assistant Matron. She was aged 42 when she died and her headstone bears the personal inscription "Thy will be done".

Jim

Many thanks for the info

All The Best

chris

• 4 weeks later...

Sue

wonderful photos & a marvellous setting - did you have a good trip over there

All The Best

Chris

Chris

It was very interesting to visit the cemeteries on the coast - Etaples, Terlincthun, Wimereux. The nearest to us here, but those that so often get bypassed on the rush through France. And the weather was perfect!

Sue