Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

James Kelly - Dardanelles/Gallipoli

Guest annpa

Well, here we go.

I'm searching for any details of my granduncle JAMES KELLY, who was wounded at the Dardanelles/Gallipoli and was invalided home to Erskine House in Renfrewshire, where he lived until his death in the 1950s.

I have had no help in the slightest from Erskine House. They say they have no early details and would not release them even if they had them. So that's that.

Also I do not know his regiment or his date of death, which complicates matters.

JAMES KELLY was born in Falkirk, Stirlingshire, Scotland in 1880. Present in Falkirk age 11 in 1891, but absent from Scotland in 1901.

As a starting point, as he was 35 in 1915, I have surmised that he was already a serving soldier, enlisting around 1899/1900. I have searched the 1901 census for England and Wales, finding 3 possibles, age abt 20 born in Scotland. They all seem to be at army camps, so perhaps someone knows which regiments were at which camps in 1901?? <_<

James Kelly 20 Private Infantry (Militia) at Chatham Barracks

James J Kelly 20 soldier Private Bulford Military Camp (Wiltshire)

James Kelly 23 Private Cameron Highlanders Hound Royal Victoria Hospital Hampshire

Really, till I know his regiment, I can't really successfully search the medal cards.

I'll away and search Scotland 1901 again

Cheers all

Annpa

Don't forget the Boer War was going on 1899-1902. He could have been there, instead.

Steve.

Hello

Hope I've got in here before anyone has done any searching for me. please ignore my above calls for help.

As said in last post, I went away and had another long look at the 1901 Scotland census on scotlandspeople. Eventually I managed to discover Uncle Jimmy with his sister and brother-in-law. age 20 an Iron Dresser. So he wasn't in the army at that time after all. I shall have to wait until the 1911 census or the deaths released from New Register House.

There's another thing. As he was an ex-serviceman (and presumably war pensioner) when living at Erskine House, and he died in Scotland, would his death be registered in the normal death registers, or is there a special military register of deaths?

Sorry about the confusion above - should have looked first and asked afterwards!

thanks

Annpa

• 1 month later...
Don't forget the Boer War was going on 1899-1902. He could have been there, instead.

Steve.

Owen

Erskine Hospital has a large burial plot in Bishopton cemetery about a mile outside the village. A lot of the ex-service residents when they die are laid to rest there. It might be worth a look?

Owen

I shall have to wait until the 1911 census or the deaths released from New Register House.

Hi Annpa,

All deaths are already searchable in person at New Register House; it's only online that they restrict searches after a certain date (currently 1954). I don't know where you live, but if you can make it to Edinburgh I would expect that you would be able to find his entry in the death register very quickly.

Stuart