Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

military medal notts and derby

bravo7165

hi there

just on the off chance would anyone know what battalion the military medal winner listed below could have been in by his service number. as i have checked his mic and also housleys gallantry awards to the notts and derbys with no joy

CPL 18281 THOMAS STILES LONDON GAZETTE 13/9/1918 MM 1915 TRIO

thanks

Hello

its wo 23 - awards of MM and DCM

how do you know that date ? Check the LG ?

Good luck

Ian

Hello

its wo 23 - awards of MM and DCM

how do you know that date ?  Check the LG ?

Good luck

Ian

the sherwood foresters museum gave me the gazette date but no battalion, same goes in housleys book date but no battalion

cheers

Gazette entry. Since it's before the end of the war, battalion is not given. WO372/23 is almost certain to give the Battalion...

London Gazette 13-9-18 (Published, and search date, 10-9-18)

18281 Cpl. T. Stiles, N. & Derby. R. (Ilkeston).

http://www.gazette-online.co.uk/archiveVie...&selHonourType=

Go for the MM MIC.

Steve.

PS I'm on dial-up....

I'll look into this for you.

One of my long-running projects is trying to make sense of SF numbers and, to be honest, there is no clear pattern emerging except for within the 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th territorial battalions. However, my immediate response is:

a) I'd be 90% certain he didn't (at least originally) serve in one of these territorial battalions.

B) He definitely wasn't in the 1st, 2nd or 10th

c) So that leaves 9th, 11th, 12th, 15th, 16th and 17th as possibles

d) It could take quite some time between carrying out the deed for which the award was made and the time of the gazette - usually several months minimum. However, as the 17th was reduced to cadre in February 1918 that makes them a little less likely (but that is rather speculative).

Bear with me, but if I haven't got back to you in a few days send a gentle reminder!

Can't get rid of the annoying smile where B) should be!!

Edited by Andrew Hesketh

Gazette entry. Since it's before the end of the war, battalion is not given. WO372/23 is almost certain to give the Battalion...

London Gazette 13-9-18 (Published, and search date, 10-9-18)

18281 Cpl. T. Stiles, N. & Derby. R. (Ilkeston).

http://www.gazette-online.co.uk/archiveVie...&selHonourType=

Go for the MM MIC.

Steve.

PS I'm on dial-up....

cheers steve

I'll look into this for you.

One of my long-running projects is trying to make sense of SF numbers and, to be honest, there is no clear pattern emerging except for within the 5th, 6th, 7th and 8th territorial battalions. However, my immediate response is:

a) I'd be 90% certain he didn't (at least originally) serve in one of these territorial battalions.

B) He definitely wasn't in the 1st, 2nd or 10th

c) So that leaves 9th, 11th, 12th, 15th, 16th and 17th as possibles

d) It could take quite some time between carrying out the deed for which the award was made and the time of the gazette - usually several months minimum. However, as the 17th was reduced to cadre in February 1918 that makes them a little less likely (but that is rather speculative).

Bear with me, but if I haven't got back to you in a few days send a gentle reminder!

Can't get rid of the annoying smile where B) should be!!

cant be the 9th they went to gallipoli, he went to france on the 29/8/15 on his mic

Have you got his date of enlistment?

Of course whichever battalion he originally went to France with or joined could have altered by the time of his 1918 award.

However the date of his arrival in France is interesting because it coincides neatly with the arrival in France of the 24th Division which contained the 12th battalion, i.e. between 28 August and 4 September.

I agree that the 9th is out as they were in Galliopoli on that date, and that date also rules out the 15th, 16th and 17th who did not arrive until later.

This leaves only the 11th or 12th as viable choices. Greenwoodman (Richard) is the resident expert on the 11th so hopefully he'll drop into this post and add his tuppence worth, but the 11th arrived some time between 21st and 26th August 1915 (not sure exactly when within that range) so for the reason given above I'd place my bets on the 12th.

You do me too much honour, Mr Hesketh!! Not sure it'll be worth tuppence! :)

The 11th Battalion history says the battalion embarked 27th Aug 1915 at Folkestone and disembarked at Boulogne the same day. The 23rd Division history records the Division as completing concentration near St Omer on 30th Aug.

There is a list of awards in an appendix at the back of the battalion history - Stiles is not mentioned there - not that it is a complete record - my grandfather won an MM with the battalion and is mentioned twice in the book but not in the appendix!

And finally he is not mentioned in the war diary July 1916 - 1919.

You do me too much honour, Mr Hesketh!!

Not so! I look away in your presence sire. B) See, sunglasses.

Anyway, I think that adds a little more weight to the probability of Stiles being a 12th battalion man originally (though once again I offer the cautionary note that he could well have moved battalions over the next couple of years). The only thing I can be 100% certain of is that he wasn't 1st, 2nd or 10th.