Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Manchesters Experts

kingo

Found an old postcard that i bought years ago in the old corn exchange in manchester.Never noticed before,but yer man 27441 L/cpl Arthur Jagger had written to his mother in Shaw,Oldham from Altcar rifle ranges and put his details in the corner of the card.Looked on the medal roll website and it says he was Manchester Regiment.The card looks like it says 27th Batt F coy.Anyone any other information ?.

Jagger doesnt appear in the City Battalions Book of Honour as an "original Pal". That would be consistent with his Bn being noted as 27th which was a Reserve Training Bn.

In the same book, the name A Jagger appears in the list of employees of James & M S Sharpe & Co. The company were cotton dyers and members of the Bradford Dyers Association (although based in Manchester)

Thanks for that John.There is no date or stamp on the card,so its impossible to say when it was sent.I didnt know that Altcar (a place that i know like the back of my hand !) was used during the war.He doesnt appear on the CWGC sight so i presume he survived the war.Funny thing is,when i was at school in the 70,s the deputy head was an old bloke called...............Arthur Jagger !.It couldnt be ,could it ?

i've found another Jagger in the 24th btw (Oldham as you know)

what medal rolls did you look him up in Andy?

Found him whilst idly flicking through the cwgc sight.Was looking at the cemeteries close to where i live and his details appeared.Says 4th bn attached 18th and as you know,the same bn as my g-uncle.This quest for info about the 18th is getting out of hand now !and i hate loose ends,so it looks like he is another name to add to my growing must research list !.Addictive innit ?

i'll have a look at the 18th medal rolls tonight, remind me if i forget

sorry Andy

nowt in the 16-19 rolls ( if you did mean there was a connection in your deleted post)

but for my 2d, Jagger is an unusual name (german origin i assume- jager/hunter) there's an Oldham connection with your lad sending postcards to Shaw, and Jagger G B 15415 was an original comrade in the 24th battalion

so why not have a hunt around there?

Sorry for the late reply...i was in the pub,should have read your other post first !.looked on the pro website for the medal roll and he is listed there,will have to dowload the image and see what it says.

• 2 weeks later...
sorry Andy

nowt in the 16-19 rolls ( if you did mean there was a connection in your deleted post)

but for my 2d, Jagger is an unusual name (german origin i assume- jager/hunter) there's an Oldham connection with your lad sending postcards to Shaw, and Jagger G B 15415 was an original comrade in the 24th battalion

so why not have a hunt around there?

16-19 medal rolls,you bloody show off :lol:;)