Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Notts and Derby - MID For the Somme

yellow

Hi,

6408 Sergeant/A-WO CL2 George White - Nottinghamshire and Derby Regiment

I am trying to establish what the following man was mentioned in despatches for. Perhaps someone who owns the regimental history can tell me?

I have managed to collect the following information on this man so far:

Enlisted - 1-9-14

Discharged Sick - 28-11-17

MID - London Gazette Thursday 4th January 1917 - Submitted by General Headquarters on the 13th Novememer 1916 - A Somme Award

In an attempt to establish the mans battalion I have pulled his MID card and card index, I am sorry to say there is no mention of his Battalion.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,

Steve.

A Sergeant G White was mentioned in despatches in the 10th Battalion, but the reference (10th Battalion Sherwood Foresters by Lt W N Hoyte) does not give a date or regimental number so I cannot confirm whether it's the same man with 100% certainty. Also there's no index so it's not easy to find a text reference. I'll have a skim through in case there is a mention. If there is I'll add a new post.........

Well I've skimmed the above an there is no mention. As usual the Officer's get named but not the 'other ranks' Unfortunately I don't have any of the 10th's war diaries for 1916 but I have also looked at Cliff Housley's History of the 10th battalion (which is effectively a reworded war diary) and there is no mention there either.

Of the 20,000 plus men who served in the Foresters I would not be surprised if there were several 'G. Whites', but I would imagine very few would be a sergeant and be mentioned in despatches so I think the man named in the 10th battalion has a good chance of being the one you seek.

SF numbers are not a good guide to battalion identity except for within the territorials so the number 6408 doesn't help too much, but I've looked at a few sequences in 'Soldiers Died'. Four digit numbers beginning with 6 are not the norm but they do crop up e.g. 6396 and 6411 which neatly bracket your man.

Anyway, I hope this gives you a possible avenue to explore.

Ah! Your link confirms the 10th battalion, because the other two men listed in conjunction with him (Caunt and Whittaker) were MID in the 10th. I suspect the rest of the groupings are battalion groupings as well, as one or two names are familiar (I also notice a Major Hesketh of the North Lancs listed!!).

Action? Well of course this would be pure specualtion........ However I'll recheck my notes later (I'm at work right now) to see what they were involved in. All I can recall from memory is that they were heavily involved in the Mametz Wood area in the days prior to the Welsh going in.

Slight correction. Whittaker wasn't a 10th man, but Caunt was. I'd still be pretty certain that the other assumptions are sound though.

Although flitting around the Somme throughout the battle the 10th were rarely involved in the big set-piece affairs. Plenty of time was spent in front line trenches, but the only significant actions were

> Quadrangle Support Trench and Quadrangle Trench near Mametz Wood 9-11 July

> Delville Wood 7 August

By the way, the previous despatch and MIDs had a cut-off date for the recommendations of 30-4-1916, making the earliest possible date some time in April 1916, if the recommendation were late, for example.

Steve.

Steve,

Thats useful - I was wondering what kind of time lag may have been running in the gazetting of 1916 MiD's.

Many thanks for your replies Andrew, you have been super helpful on this one. Now I need to go away and look at the war diary.

Its sad they thought it better not to mention him in the text of the 10th's history but list him in the awards section. I wonder what source was used to complile the awards section?

Steve.

That's a good question - and I don't know. There are differences between Hoyte and Housley and I've (accidentally) encountered gallantry award recipients that neither of them list.

I hope the above has proved useful - but please remember that this was based only on two things; the Sgt. G. White of the 10th is the same man as your George White and I can't find his number for confirmation, B) the coincidence of the Caunt recipient alongside him in the LG

As I said, I'm pretty confident we are talking about the correct man, but I hate it when there's a nagging doubt......

Good luck in your research, and when (if?) you get it right don't forget a certain website of mine would love to host his story!

• 1 year later...

Andrew just to let you know that George White started out with the 4th Battalion, switched to the 14th, then to the 10th where he was MID as a transport sergeant.

He was fron Newark.

Any ideas what the Transport Section did that was so special at Mametz Wood?

Many thanks,

Steve.

Thanks for the update!

PM me an e-mail address and I can send the War Diary for July 1-7th if you want it. Unfortunately I can't find the next part...