Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

the law on deactivated weapons

bravo7165

As I posted earlier a deac certificate is not a legal requirement (although it helps in this situation), the guns are deactivated and proof marked as such.  That being the case you have broken no law.  Technically speaking in the eyes of the law once deactivated they are not guns anymore, they may look like guns but they are not guns.  

Hello Giles

As a matter of interest, what does the law say about the legality of someone walking down the street carrying barely concealed deact guns (toys? :) ). I would imagine that anyone who was carrying such an ill concealed bundle and who is unlucky enough to happen across an armed response unit is asking for trouble.

If I saw someone walking down the street carrying a couple of rifles out in the open I would certainly phone the cops.

Andy

I would imagine that anyone who was carrying such an ill concealed bundle and who is unlucky enough to happen across an armed response unit is asking for trouble.

Wasnt someone in, shall we say, serious trouble for carrying a chair leg recently?

I would imagine that anyone who was carrying such an ill concealed bundle and who is unlucky enough to happen across an armed response unit is asking for trouble

I could not agree more Andy! The police are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Steve, posted the legal wording on the first page:

Section 19 of the Firearms Act 1968 (as amended in January 2004 by the Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003), provides various offences relating to the possession of shot guns, air weapons and firearms and imitation firearms, in a public place. It states:

19 A person commits an offence if, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on him) he has with him in a public place

a a loaded shot gun,

b an air weapon (whether loaded or not),

c any other firearm (whether loaded or not) together with ammunition suitable for use in that firearm, or

d an imitation firearm.

We all know the world we live in and the hysteria that abounds. As with so much of our jurisdiction, laws in place now cover virtually any eventuality without needing constant new laws 'fanfared' into place every week that do nothing but make headlines and harm innocents. The law breakers ignore the new laws as much as they do the old ones...

Remember the 'mandatory' 5 year sentence so trumpeted last year (?) for openly carrying a real (or replica) gun in public? How many have been handed out. The laws are there but the will and resources to enforce them are not. Out wonderfully well meaning judges :o hardly help the situation.

Andy, you're a mod' - I'll leave this with you to cut if need be! ;)

I could not agree more Andy!  The police are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Steve, posted the legal wording on the first page:

Section 19 of the Firearms Act 1968 (as amended in January 2004 by the Anti-social Behaviour Act 2003), provides various offences relating to the possession of shot guns, air weapons and firearms and imitation firearms, in a public place. It states:

19 A person commits an offence if, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on him) he has with him in a public place

a a loaded shot gun,

b an air weapon (whether loaded or not),

c any other firearm (whether loaded or not) together with ammunition suitable for use in that firearm, or

d an imitation firearm.

We all know the world we live in and the hysteria that abounds.  As with so much of our jurisdiction, laws in place now cover virtually any eventuality without needing constant new laws 'fanfared' into place every week that do nothing but make headlines and harm innocents.  The law breakers ignore the new laws as much as they do the old ones...

Remember the 'mandatory' 5 year sentence so trumpeted last year (?) for openly carrying a real (or replica) gun in public?  How many have been handed out.  The laws are there but the will and resources to enforce them are not.  Out wonderfully well meaning judges  :o  hardly help the situation.

Andy, you're a mod' - I'll leave this with you to cut if need be!  ;)

hi all

got my deacs back today, great news for me

thanks to all who helped, but a big thanks to giles for his help

Great news!  Tell us more...what did the authorities say?

hi giles

they didnt say alot really, i sent a five page letter of complaint to the chief inspector stating i had contacted the firearms team from the link you sent to me and also told them i was going to get in touch with the indipendant police complaints, the inspector got the letter tues police came around friday and dropped them both off, just glad to have them back if and when i do decide to ever buy another deac it will come back to the door in car

thanks to you all for your help.