Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

90th Anniversary of Loos

Martin Felstead

On Friday a party of currently serving TA members of the London Scottish (A Co. The London Regt) including the Pipes and Drums will be en route for the Loos area for three days. Members of the Regimental Association will be meeting up with them there.

Guest wrinklyone

It's good that the action at Loos is getting the attention it deserves (so much overshadowed by Somme, Ypres). Wish I could be there.

My only slight carp (and I admit that it is a carp) is that the sacrifices of 21st and 24th Divisions aren't receiving their due. I hope that a few folk will have time to visit Dud Corner and Lone Tree.

• Admin
It's good that the action at Loos is getting the attention it deserves (so much overshadowed by Somme, Ypres). Wish I could be there.

My only slight carp (and I admit that it is a carp) is that the sacrifices of 21st and 24th Divisions aren't receiving their due. I hope that a few folk will have time to visit Dud Corner and Lone Tree.

I will be at the Lone Tree on Sunday morning, at Zero hour. I'll also be going to Dud Corner, a must on any of my visits to Loos.

Cheers, Michelle

We had three coach loads looking at the story of these divisions last week (among other things), and will have two more looking at them on the 26th and 27th September; that aspect of Loos is far from forgotten.

Nice to see so many people going for the 25th; unfortunately I won't be able to make it, but will be there on the days following.

Look forward to seeing any of the pals there this weekend. Paul, might catch you as I will be in the Loos area until the 27th.

Andy

Guest wrinklyone
that aspect of Loos is far from forgotten. [21st & 24th Divs]

Excellent, Paul. Thanks.

I have already clocked that you draw attention to 'the high level of losses' at Loos cf Somme, on 'Loos in One Day'.

My concern has been that this weekend, and indeed ongoing formal commemoration, seems to be so Hibernian centred (rather like parliament?). Indeed you refer to Loos as 'in many ways ... a Scottish battle' on your above website - and quite right too, of course.

But the sacrifice of these two raw divisions is also to be remembered,and it was good to see your great website reminding us that this was their first, disastrous, exposure.

Many thanks to the London Scottish for their superb performances at Loos British Cemetery and Auchy. It was good to see so many people there.

However, I fear Loos will once again fade into the background of the British popular memory of the Great War. Sadly TV news camera crews were notable by their absence. A contrast to 1/7/2006 on the Somme I think.

Were there any documentaries on the battle on terrestrial TV over the weekend?

Anyone seen any coverage in todays papers?

Charles

Not seen anything about it since I got back late on Monday night.

The only "media" type at Loos with a camera was a French chap from the TV local news station but there was nothing that I saw on TV on Sunday night.

Good show all round I thought by those organising and attending the commemorations; was at Loos and Auchy on Sunday as well as having a look 'round Hohenzollern Redoubt and Dud Corner.

Also saw representatives from the Australian 2nd Division parade through Villers Brettoneux on Friday with the Somme Pipe Band.

There was a small piece in the Foriegn News section of the Times on Monday which said something like 500 soldiers and veterans commemorated the 90 Anniversary of the Battle of Loos in Northern France......no more than 20 words!!!

Excuse my moaning but how much will be written on the 90th anniversary of the Somme, TV crews, politicians and royal family over there etc etc....

The men who fought in 1915 and bore the brunt of the failure at Loos must not be forgotten.

Finally it was a pleasure to meet several other members of the forum in the Loos area.....

Niail,

I gather you were introduced to a certain rodent while you were over there but managed to disengage from the encounter without too much harm being done.

You are right about the lack of interest in the battles of 1915 by the media. All those people and a large number of vets as well as serving members of our part time and regular forces going over to France for a specific event didn't get noticed...........now if a certain conference had not been coming up maybe it might have been different.