Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Coldstream Guards In China 1920's

Coldstreamer

Hello

I know its not WW1 but nearly...

Just seen a postcard for sale of the Coldstream Gds preparing to go to China.

Any one know which Battalion went and why ?

Cheers Ian

Ian. China was in a state of virtual civil war for much of the 20's, being riven between various warlords and a nascent Communist movement. I'd guess the Coldstream were off to protect british interests in the area (Shanghai, even Hong Kong). No idea which Bn, though. Steven

Ian,

As Steve has said, China was in a state of near civil war. My grandfather was sent to China in the early 20's to protect British interests and civilians with the Scots Guards(see signature). I have several postcards and photographs of the Scots Guards in China.

Andy

Hello

Cheers for the info - all new to me

Ian

Am I right in thinking that special permission had to be sought from the Monarch before Guards regiments could serve overseas? Does that still apply?

Ian

In 1927 - 28 The second battalion served in the far east as part of the Shanghai Defence Force.

There are a couple of pages and two pictures in 'Second to None' relating to this tour of duty. If you would like a scan of them please let me know

Kind regards

John

Yes pls

Will email address via pm

Ian

Ian

In 1927 - 28 The second battalion served in the far east as part of the Shanghai Defence Force.

There are a couple of pages and two pictures in  'Second to None' relating to this tour of duty. If you would like a scan of them please let me know

Kind regards

John

Hello

That might explain the lack of overseas service after the war (ie no medals)

Any way - who would guard the corgi's ??

Ian

Am I right in thinking that special permission had to be sought from the Monarch before Guards regiments could serve overseas?  Does that still apply?