Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

WWI Tank helmet help

siquisiri

Companeros,

This is my first post on this board and it appears that I am in very good company. I need some help in identifying the following pics. Can anyone identify the type of crash helmet worn by this American tank commander? The third pic is an artists rendition of the same helmet shown in the pic.

Thanks

Francsico Gonzalez

us_tankers3.JPG

pic68111.jpg

us_tankers4.JPG

Given he was commanding a tank furnished by the French, I suggets that it was their standard equipment.

certainly not French, they cut off the peak of a standard adrian and hen put a thick leather band in its place

Welcome to the Forum Francsico.

The fellow in the Renault tank looks to me to be future General George S. Patton.

Carlo D'Estes in his book on Patton, "Patton: A Genius for War", mentions that when he was designated the chief of the newly organized AEF Light Tank School in November 1918, he knew little about tanks so a visit to familiarise himself with tanks was arranged with the French. For two weeks, at the French Light Tank Training Centre at Chamlieu in the forest of Compiegne, he drove a Renault tank and fired its gun (pages 206-207).

Could this photo be from that time?

The fellow in the Renault tank looks to me to be future General George S. Patton.

Could this photo be from that time?

I sort of think it looks like Patton as well. I'll have a troll through my "Patton" books when I get home this evening and see if I can find any similar pictures. I realize of course, this still doesn't answer the helmet question. :D

Cheers,

~Dan

Companeros,

A companion sent me the following info: "I believe the photo is of a tank belonging to the 326th Tank Battalion, taken in early October 1918 between the two battles of St Mihael and the Meuse-Argonne." I too believe that the tank commander might be Patton. Any Patton experts out there?

Francisco

Companeors,

Heres a close-up of one of the tankers at the top of the picture on the ridge. He seems to be the "inspiration" for the artist rendition.

pic68110.jpg

siquisiri