Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frankfurt trench

paul guthrie

Pals I forgot to look up exactly where this is last night and need to know to finish Lewis Charlesworth article for WFA site and US Branch magazine. Let me know and thanks, know it's near Ancre but not just where. I bet close to Miraumont but we will see.

Paul

Frankfurt Trench ran about quarter to half a mile to the east of Redan Ridge and more or less parallel with it to the north east of Beaumont Hamel and south of Serre. It runs north-south.

The Nov 1916 1:20,000 trench map shows it in Grids K36 and Q6. It is spelt Frankfort rather than Frankfurt on the map.

Tim

Tim I usually do not post thanks because of clutter and because I usually thank the person who will answer when I ask the question but thanks since you saved me from making a mistake. Strangely enough Frankfort is the capital of Kentucky and when I dictated this my secretary typed it that way, I corrected it to the Frankfurt thinking that would be right, now have changed it back.

Paul

I think it is generally spelt Frankfurt in histories these days. I suspect the British cartographer in 1916 may have mispelt it! Particularly as it runs parallel to and behind Munich trench.

As you probably realise these were not the German names for their trenches, the British gave them names to clarify references to the map.

So I don't know which is right - you takes your pick!!

Tim

I pick Frankfurt then Tim. Many US readers and maybe some UK will know Frankfort is capital of Kentucky, know I live here praise the Lord! and think I did not know how the German city was spelled! You should hear us pronounce Versailles, Kentucky too, bet you can guess, Cadiz too as well as Paris.