Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remains Found At Thiepval

davedixon

Got back last week from the usual brilliant Walking The Somme tour, minus Paul who was working with the beeb!

Vic, one of our guides mentioned as we passed the spot, that the remains of 5 German soldiers had been found as work commenced on the new visitors centre at Thiepval.

Hadn't seen it reported here and thought some of you might be interested.

Dave Dixon

Hope some forum member can add some information to this report?? Its not all that frequent to hear of remains being found on the Somme, I would certainly be interested to know more of this discovery. Cheers Neil.

Just to confirm this; I was there the day after they were found. Someone on site said there was no ID, but 'Prussian' buttons, which surprised me as I would have presumed they were from 180 Regt who defended Thiepval the day up to it fell on 26.9.16. The remains have been passed to the German wargarves commission, and I understand they may be buried in the Kamaradengraben at Fricourt.

Welcome to the forum Dave; sorry I wasn't walking with you last week!

From 1 July to the fall of Thiepval a number of different regiments defended this area including small contingents from other divisions used as reinforcements. It is not unexpected to find Prussian remains such as buttons.

Ralph

Thanks for that Ralph; I was hoping you might add something.

Sadly this means that these men will probably never be identified, even to a unit. :(

Soldiers from Württemberg had Prussian buttons too. Only Bavarians had other buttons.

ID should come from shoulder straps, ID disk or regimental markings on leather equipment.

Jan

Thanks for that Jan - I believe that nothing like that was found with any of the bodies, which perhaps indicates an actual burial as opposed to a battlefield burial?

• 3 weeks later...

I was on the Somme last week and I was told that there was no 'proper' investigation done to try to identify the 7 bodies found.

I was told that the button was used to say that they were all Germans and they were promptly taken away from the site.

Wouldn't this have been an excellent opportunity for the developers of the project to gain valuable publicity for the whole project? I wonder why it was kept so quiet.

I don't suppose there might be commercial interests conflicting with the memorial aspect of this issue.

I would be interested to know more if anyone can shed any more light on this.

Regards,

Ken

I agree Ken,

If true, it does seem to have been done rather quietly and with unseemly haste.

Given the position, and the purpose of the building under construction I would have thought it would have generated much more interest. However, I fear that pecuniary concerns may have been the driving factor for the contractors.

There is probably someone out there with more facts than we know, it is a shame they do not take the time to explain the situation and the findings. It would go a long way to prevent supposition from many people, myself included.

Ralph

Personally I am also surprised that not more has been done to at least identify what unit this men might have been from... I shall make some enquiries next week and post again.

Sadly, I tend to agree with Egbert's analysis. I cannot help but conclude that much more would have been made of this discovery had the remains been British or French.

Can anyone tell me whether the sheet fencing went up around the site before, or after the discovery of these bodies?

The whole site now appears to be screened from public view.

I wonder why.

Ken