Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Book on the 2nd Monmouthshire Regiment

DaveNich

They Fought With Pride

First World War Experiences of the 2nd Battalion the Monmouthshire Regiment

They Fought With Pride looks at the lives and experiences of the men who fought on the Western Front with the 2nd Battalion, The Monmouthshire Regiment during World War One. The Battalion were mobilised for active service on August 4th, 1914 and remained on active service in Germany with the Army of Occupation until May 1919. In 1914 the Battalion was very much made up of men from Abercarn, Blaenavon, Crumlin, Cwmbran, Llanhilleth. Monmouth, Usk and Pontypool. The book provides a valuable insight and memorial to those who served with the Battalion and would appeal to those with an interest in Local or Family History and The First World War. The book is £12.95 in hardback, contains 120 pages and over 140 photographs.

The launch will take place at Cwmbran Library on the 5th November, between 11.00 am and 2 pm – everyone welcome. There will be a display of photographs and other memorabilia. Come along and have a look. If you are unable to attend the launch, but would like to purchase the book, please drop me a line.

Dave@abijess.freeserve.co.uk

David Nicholas

Well done, Dave! E-mail follows...

Bernard

Dave - an afterthought: the 2 Mons was my dad's old Bn in the last war. He's not over interested in the Great War but I'll be at Pontypridd (with him) on 9 Oct when a memorial to the 53 Welsh is unveiled. Will you be there by chance? If you are we could sort out my copy then, otherwise we can do it by post.

Bernard

Many thanks to everyone that has sent me an e-mail. I am looking forward to meeting you at the launch.

Bernard - I have sent you an e-mail.

All the best

David Nicholas :)

• 4 weeks later...

Reminder of Book Launch

They Fought With Pride looks at the lives and experiences of the men who fought on the Western Front with the 2nd Battalion, The Monmouthshire Regiment during World War One. The book provides a valuable insight and memorial to those who served with the Battalion and would appeal to those with an interest in Local or Family History and The First World War. The book is £12.95 in hardback, contains 120 pages and over 140 photographs.

The launch will take place at Cwmbran Library on the 5th November, between 11.00 am and 2 pm – everyone welcome. There will be a display of photographs and other memorabilia of the Battalion. Come along and have a look. If you are unable to attend the launch, but would like to purchase the book, please drop me a line.

Thanks

David

Dave@abijess.freeserve.co.uk

Can't make the launch but am watching my letterbox...

Bernard

No problem - looking forward to it.

Bernard

Dave,

My copy arrived on the doorstep yesterday morning. :D Congratulations to you it must be nice to see the fruits of your labour finally in print.

Only had chance for a quick read but the letters to loved ones about the loss of a brother or friend are very poignent but in balance the least formal inspection during bath parade does bring a smile to your face.

I do hope you have a great day on 5th Nov at your launch and I am so sorry not to be able to attend but I will be in France during that week. Hope to meet up with you some time before christmas.

Best wishes

Martyn

• 3 weeks later...

5th November

I have placed a variety of photographs on the 2nd Battalion Monmouthshire Regiment at Cwmbran Library ready for the launch on 5th November (11.00 am - 2.00 pm ).

For those people unable to attend the launch I am taking orders for the book

(£12.95). The cost of postage is £1.50.

Many Thanks

David Nicholas