Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Foreign medal - any pics?

eviltaxman

Evening folks,

As some of you may be aware, I'm doing some research (and getting a memorial set up) on Lt col Dan Burges VC DSO....

As part of my little collection of bits 'n bobs, I'm considering making his medal entitlement out of copies (for display purposes). He was entitled to a few and his full entitlement is -

VC

DSO

QSA /4 clasps

KSA /2 clasps

15 Star

BWM

Victory Medal + MID

Croix de Guerre avec Palme (France)

Greek Military Cross 2nd Class

Getting hold of copies/originals of most is easy enough, but the Greek medal has me cold. I've never seen one - has anyone seen one or know what it looks like? Does anyone know where I can get one?

Help!!

Les.

The Greek War Cross aka Military Cross was awarded in 3 Classes Instituted in 1917 by M.Venizelos,for award to Greek Nationalist troops.The Medal is of Dull silver & comprises a Wreath of Laurel With a Greek Sword,Hilt Downwards With a Tablet Across to form the "Cross";The reverse of which carries the inscription in Greek : Greece 1916~1917,The classes are denoted by Wreaths worn on the Ribbon:~

1st Gold

2nd Silver

3rd No Wreath.

A further mention was denoted by a 5 pointed star worn on the Ribbon.,

The Ribbon is Black Moire{Watered] with Blue edges.

In answer to part II of your post where to get one?

Hen's Teeth spring's to mind,I haven't even seen a copy,Liverpool Medals usually carry a good stock of World Medals & might be able to help,or advise where a copy could be found,also,WorldMedals.com,may have such an item.

Ah! So that's what it looks like - thanks.

Now to find one (or at least a copy). I'm still aiming to get the plaque ready for October next year, so I've got plenty of time :ph34r:

Thanks,

Les

Les.

Did you manage to get hold of a copy QSA with clasps, or have you used an original? If it was a copy, could you tell me where you got it from as I'm trying to make up my Gt.grandad's group (QSA 6 clasps/ KSA) in copy format for a present this Christmas.(I've got the originals, but there's no way I'm giving them away!!! :D )

Cheers,

Dave.

Hi Les-

In addition to what has been said I just want to mention a couple of words about the motto on the obverse of this medal. It loosely translates as: "Or return with it (the shield) triumphant or return on it dead". This is an ancient Spartan motto that would be said when going into battle: either return with your shield triumphant or return laying on it dead (a traditional way of honouring war dead).

With respect to the medal, this is in my view the most beautiful of Greek designs. This design was also used during WW2 by the Greek Sacred Legion fighting alongside the British in Africa, Italy and the Med. There exists a wide variety of manufacturers of this badge that is also reflected in the price. It seems that the higher quality ones were indeed awarded to foreign servicemen and higher ranked Greek personnel. I have a MC group in my collection that also includes the Greek Military Cross 2nd class which was made by Zisimou brothers. This type including the Huguenin version are the most sought after by collectors (in Greece anyways).

In terms of scarcity, these medals were not widely awarded and as such are quite rare. For higher classes of this award the recipient would receive special priviledges, in certain cases the award of land. An award document was also handed out with this award. I have to this date never seen one to a non-Greek serviceman, so if one has got one in their collection I would be happy to hear from them. In price terms, one could find an original (non-maker marked) for around £50-70. In fact Liverpool medals have two available on their website:

http://www.liverpoolmedals.com/FMPro?-db=l...start2.htm&-new

As a footnote the term "Military cross" for this award is strictly incorrect. The award is "Polemikos Stauros" in Greek, which translates word for word to "War Cross".

Hope this info is of interest, best regards

Dimitri

Les.

Did you manage to get hold of a copy QSA with clasps, or have you used an original? If it was a copy, could you tell me where you got it from as I'm trying to make up my Gt.grandad's group (QSA 6 clasps/ KSA) in copy format for a present this Christmas.(I've got the originals, but there's no way I'm giving them away!!! :D )

Cheers,

Dave.

Dave,

I haven't actually started as such yet. Getting copies of all the medals shouldn't be too hard, but I was wondering how easy the Greek medal was to get hold off.

Once I've found a dealer (or two) that has cheap & cheerful --> damn good copies, I'll give you a shout.

Les.

Dimitri,

Interesting little fact about non-Greeks with the medal. I'm hoping to get a medal bar & ribbon bar made up and the Greek medal is the crux of it all.... no Greek medal, no presentation. :(

I'll change my details from Military Cross to War Cross.

Thanks for the info - very interesting!!

Les.

Hi Les-

You will find it almost impossible to find enough ribbon so that you can add the Greek award to a medal bar. As opposed to British ODM, almost all Greek awards either come with the original ribbon (not much of it) or none at all. Medal prices can down by up to 20% in certain cases if the ribbon is not present.

The group I have is court mounted and the person who mounted it had to use black cloth on blue cloth in order to "produce" the ribbon. Just keep in mind that this may prove the case in your situation as well, best

Dimitri