Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Worcesters

nicburch

Nick - need to be more specific. The 17th bde, RFA, were with 8th Divn (as were the 4th Worcesters), but the RFA Bde was at Allahabad until early 1915, and the 4th Worcs were in Burma.

The 17th Infantry Bde were part of 6th Divn, but that Div contained no Worcester Bns (however, at the time of writing units were a bit mixed-up).

The 7th Bde (3rd Divn) had the 3rd Worcesters as part of the Bde - is it possible this is the bde you refer to?

Steve

Steve, thanks for your reply. i am quoting a CWGC certificate of the chap i am looking at.

It actually says 17th. Infantry Brigade. Worcs. Regt. d.o.d. 28/9/14.

Nick

Wonder if it's a typo for 7th Bde?

Got him. Arthur Dowson Green was Essex regiment originally, commissioned in June 1894 (born 13.4.74). After attachment to the West Africa regt, he was with Thornycroft's Mounted Infantry in South Africa, winning his DSO (gazetted 19.4.01). In 1914 he was bde major to 17 Bde, being killed at Soupir on 28.9.14 "shot through the heart by a sniper"! He was promoted Captain in the Worcesters in June 1900. I think that explains the Worcsters, attached 17 Bde bit!

Got him.  Arthur Dowson Green was Essex regiment originally, commissioned in June 1894 (born 13.4.74).  After attachment to the West Africa regt, he was with Thornycroft's Mounted Infantry in South Africa, winning his DSO (gazetted 19.4.01).  In 1914 he was bde major to 17 Bde, being killed at Soupir on 28.9.14 "shot through the heart by a sniper"!  He was promoted Captain in the Worcesters in June 1900.  I think that explains the Worcsters, attached 17 Bde bit!

Had a look at the Worcestershires Regimental history, and there is not mention were he died,useally its says died F&F but it only says he was on the general staff

and had a DSO.

I do know the 2nd Bn Worcesters fought at the 1st battle of the marne during the time he was killed,as I have an intrest in one soldier who is buried in Boitron churchyard, a Pte George Shannon who is buried next to my greatuncle

Steve, from what you say would he at first have been commissioned as a lieutenant in the Essex? i assume he transferred to the Worcs. in South Africa and stayed until his death.

Can i access the 'gazette' entry when he won his DSO?

Nick