Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Trench Map CD Rom

Terry Carter

hello Folks

Having upgraded my P.C. and now running Windows XP I found I could not load the Trench Map CD Rom supplied by Naval and Miltary Press.

I rang them and they told me to send the CD back with a cheque for £14.95 and they would replace it for a new version that runs on XP.

Thought I would pass the info on just in case anyone else is having problems.

Regards

Terry

Terry/Giles

It doesn't sound right to me either. The patch can be downloaded here.

What I don't understand is why they ask you to contact them as they then send you the link above.

Mike

This is not right.  I had the same problem three months ago and was told to contact N & MP.  They have a patch which can be downloaded to sort the problem.  It should not cost you a penny.

http://www.great-war-trench-maps.com/support.htm

If you notice when you download the patch, your version of the CD changes from version 1.0 (not XP compatable) to version 1.1 (compatable). Version 2.0 is now the one that is for sale from the N&MP. What they are probably doing is upgrading your disc to version 2 for £14.95 which should have no problems. Apart from having no problems with XP, I don't know if there are any added features on version 2.0 (there is on the SDGW CD, so there might be!)

Dave.

I would imagine the compatability issue will revolve around the version of ER Viewer.

The patch upgrades it to version 2.0c.

I would be interested to hear of any added features in version 2.0 of the CD.

Mike

There has been an earlier discussion on the subject of N & M CDROM ‘s , don't know where though.

For what it is worth, the following information: my Official History of the Great War Maps CDROM refused to work on my laptop; I could install it but got an error message. Refused to work. (Watch out with your laptop, apparently it overheats certain male parts of the body :D ). The crazy thing was that it worked perfectly on another computer, not what I had in mind though. Both computers have Windows XP installed.

I downloaded the N&MP patch, result: zilch. A few days ago I read about a simular problem in a computer magazine. They wrote that probably the Autoexec.nt was damaged. Their advice was to find it in the C:\Windows\Restore file, copy it and past it in C:\Windows\System32. Looked for the little cretin and couldn’t find it on my laptop at all! Found it on another computer, copied it, and pasted it and the Map CDROM works like a Ferrari.....

Cheers, Michael

I would be interested to hear of any added features in version 2.0 of the CD.

Ditto.

Any chance of a report when you get it, Terry?

Dave.