Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"forgotten Men"

gporta

The recent thread on WWI Tank cemeteries rang a bell, and prompted me to check my files: I got a an still... well, actually an still of an illustration, related to the film "Forgotten men". Really curious... And I wonder what are these imprudent german soldiers doing by attacking a tank... with their rifles and bayonets?! ... In fact, at least four of them are not even wearing their stahlhelms!!!

Ah! the artist's imagination!

I checked it at imdb and the more likely options were "Forgotten men" (a 1933 lost film), and "Forgotten Men: The War as It Was" a 1934 anti-war film.

Curiouser and curiouser...

Gloria

post-6853-1126906192.jpg

The recent thread on WWI Tank cemeteries rang a bell, and prompted me to check my files: I got a an still... well, actually an still of an illustration, related to the film "Forgotten men". Really curious... And I wonder what are these imprudent german soldiers doing by attacking a tank... with their rifles and bayonets?! ... In fact, at least four of them are not even wearing their stahlhelms!!!

Ah! the artist's imagination!

I checked it at imdb and the more likely options were "Forgotten men" (a 1933 lost film), and "Forgotten Men: The War as It Was" a 1934  anti-war film.

Curiouser and curiouser...

Gloria

I have the 1934 version of this title - it is indeed a fascinating documentary with an anti-war tone

- written & narrated by the pre-eminent mil historian of the time, Sir John Hammerton and introduced by General Ian Hamilton in the only known footage of him. My version is from DD Video, VHS, 1999. Recommended, although not very long.

Would be surprised if your image was publicity from this, as mostly 'proper' WWI footage is used in the documentary, but when I get time I will check if there are shots that this could be conceivably drawn from. I very much doubt it. So perhaps the 1933 version which I guess really is lost. Any film historians out there?

(...) Would be surprised if your image was publicity from this, as mostly 'proper' WWI footage is used in the documentary, but when I get time I will check if there are shots that this could be conceivably drawn from. (...)

Hi Paul,

Sometimes, images or drawings not strictly related to the actual content of a film have been used. My guess is that maybe the distributors thought that a spectacular scene could catch up the imagination of the passer-by and get him/her into the movie theatre.

Both productions are credited by IMDB as film documentaries on war, so it could be that the same film had been credited twice? It is interesting that a review of the film mentions veterans appearing in it talking about their experiences... it could be interesting to compare this with those appearing in more recent times (on TV documentaries, etc...).

The producer, or distributor of the film is (from the credits in the still) "Associated British Picture Corporation". There's also a small mark which says "Wardour"

Gloria

I have a copy and believe me it is interesting to see the reaction of the old soldiers as the memories still have an effect on them.

It is staged but definitely worth the purchase.

John