Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fallon & The Big Fight

Bryn_Hammond

I have recently acquired a copy of 'The Big Fight' by David Fallon MC.

I cannot decide what to make of this book. On the one hand he appears to be acknowledged by historians (particularly Aussie ones) as a valuable source on the ANZAC experience in the war. On the other he claims to have driven a tank ('Razzle Dazzle')(!) on an early occasion they were used (possibly even 15 Sep 1916).

So, please, good people, give me information to decide whether this book was written by a brave man with a rich war experience OR the Australian Head of Bull**** :huh:

Is this the same Lt.D.Fallon M.C of the 1/1st Bucks. Battalion who was wounded in the attack on Skyline Trench on the 14/15th August 1916?

Bryn,

I do not have this book in my collection, but I know of it

Which historians (particularly Aussie ones) rate it as a valuable source on the ANZAC experience in the war?

Hussar- I believe you have the correct man here.

From memory the book was printed in the United States in about 1918

I would not think it was authoritative reference.- try another book my friend

Cheers

Geoff S

Hussar/Geoff

It appears that this is the gentleman I am talking about - given his reference to a 'reserve battalion of the "Oxfords & Bucks"'.

My specific concerns were 1) His tales AFTER that date. If he was wounded on 15 August 1916 it seems unlikely that he drove a tank on or about 16 September or that he was seemingly an instant RFC observer as he (sort of) implies.

2) The flipping books I've seen where this book is quoted as a source! I'm sure I've seen it before but can't find where! I suspect John Laffin, but as I hardly own a multitude of his offerings, I can't see how it can be. The search continues. I'll report back...

Thanks for your help, chaps, anyway.