Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Battalion, Regiment, Division.

paullaw1155

Pals

Can anyone explain to me the pecking order and numbers involved with Battalion, Division, Regiment.

I am readfing a book and it may give a quote as

"The 21st Division suffered 4,256 casualties. Not being sure as to how many personnell are in a Division I can not put a percentage figure to these numbers.

I presume that when you join you join a regiment it then becomes part of a , Battalion, Probably wrong. Hence the post

I know some one will help with this query, So thanks in anticipation.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul

Each Regiment are made up of Battalions, some Regiments had upto 25 battalions others only 13 or so. Battalions that went over seas were placed in a Bridage which at the start of the war numbered 4 battalions, later only three battalions. Three Brigades then made up a Division. A full strength battalion number about 1,100 or so but by 1918 most battalions could only number 500-600. If you worked on a full strength of about 1,100 times that by 12 full strength battalions per Division (pre 1918) plus each Bridage would have had one pioneer battalion, then you are looking at a full strength of a Divsion being about 16,500 and then there are troops like Division transport which I have not counted.

Annette