Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Silver War Badge

Marc Thompson

I have read previous threads concerning individuals awarded the Silver War Badge but am still somewhat confused.

I have come across the service papers for an individual who had previous pre-war service with 5th Hants (shown as time expired).

Re-enlisted with Hampshire Carabiniers in March 1914 then after a period of home service demobolised for munition work at Walthamstowe in December 1915 (entry in service records reads I think W.O. letter 19 Gen no.5415 A.G.I. d/26.11.15). Subsequently discharged 14/12/1918 being surplus to military requiements not having suffered impairment since entry into service under para 392...

Recorded as suffering from influenza in March 1915 and had his tonsils removed in August 1915. Reported as no complications and fit to return to duty. Record does not indicate any form of medical down-grading.

He was awarded the Silver war badge. Would this be correct?

Marc

Marc,

The Discharge Badge, sometimes known as the Silver War Badge was intended to be worn in civies by service personnel who had been honourably discharged due to wounds or sickness.

Over one million of these badges were issued.

Bob.

Marc,

The badge was introduced in September 1916 and issued to men discharged during the war. All those entitled to a Badge have the fact recorded on their medal roll index card.

regards

Peter.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Marc,

Well it was worth a try <_<

I think perhaps you have uncovered an example of a 'grey one' where the normal rules were not properly adhered to. It might be one of those cases where you may never find out why, you just have to accept it happened, which is not exatly an ideal solution.

Ian

Bob Coulson is only partly correct. The Silver War Badge, as it is correctly known, is dealt with in AO 316 of 1916, 50 and 265 of 1917, and 291 of 1918 at least.

It was for issue, inter alia, to "those who, having served as soldiers and being now over military age, have been discharged otherwise than for misconduct"

SO YOU DID NOT NEED TO BE WOUNDED OR INVALIDED TO QUALIFY FOR THE BADGE.

As Marc Thompson's soldier served after 4 August 1914, he was indeed entitled to the badge.

I have come across a small number of soldiers who entered the reserve (Z) and got a SWB. I have double checked a few of them to be sure. Was this just an admin error or could this happen officially? Any thoughts?

Surely Class Z of the Reserve was a post-war construct?

My first reaction, without benefit AOs handy, is to agree that the award of SWB strange.

It was  for issue, inter alia,  to "those who, having served as soldiers and being now over military age, have been discharged otherwise than for misconduct"

SO YOU DID NOT NEED TO BE WOUNDED OR INVALIDED TO QUALIFY FOR THE BADGE.

Thanks for the responses.

Can I just clarify in this case, what does "over military age" mean?

Marc