Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Edwin Greenwood, West Yorks.

smiths565

Hello everybody.

Can anybody tell me if this man died whilst a prisoner of war ?

Name: GREENWOOD, EDWIN

Regiment: West Yorkshire Regiment (Prince of Wales's Own)

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 20/07/1918

Service No: 21/142

Additional information: Son of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Allen Greenwood, of 57, Haigh St., Battinson Rd., Halifax, Yorks.

He is buried in Le Quesnoy Communal Cemetery, Nord, France. which was used by the Germans to bury quite a few prisoners of war.

Thanks in advance

Robert.

Hi Robert.

Listed on M.IC. Roll as Henry and also in Wyralls's casualty list for the battalion.

Interestingly enough, his service number appears to be one for the 21st Battalion, West Yorks, Pioneers to 4th Division.

Regards, Chris.

Hello Robert

I live in Halifax so I'll see what I can find in the local library. It will be next week before I get a chance.

regards

Rob

Robert

As soon as I had added my last post I remembered that I had already done some research on the Halifax memorial and lo and behold Edwin Greenwoods details were there.

Lived at 57 Haigh Street, Battinson Road, Halifax. Attended St James Church and worked for Kinder and Slater. Enlisted November 1915 and was captured on 21/3/18. Died of pneumonia in hospital at Le Quesnoy while a POW. Aged 23.

Any particular reason for the interest in him ?

regards

Rob

Rob, waited for you to crop up :D

Serial Number tallys with 21st Battalion, West Yorks? Surely it fits in with the recruitment of the Wool and Textile? Be interested to find out what you turn up.

Regards, Chris.

Any particular reason for the interest in him ?

regards

Rob

His name appears on a memorial for the men who worked at Vickers Limited in Sheffield and died in service. I have been researching this list because I once worked there as well. What did Kinder & Slater do?

At some point in his life Edwin must have lived in Sheffield and worked in the Steel industry.

Thanks for the information so far.

Regards

Robert.

Robert/Chris

I'll have some time next week to visit the library.

I have him down as serving in the 1st West Yorks, but I probably got that from the CWGC.

I don't know what line of business Kinder & Slater were in. I know most of the bigger firms of the period so perhaps they were a small affair. Hopefully all will be revealed next week.

Robert, have you looked on the 1901 census to see where he was living at that time.

regards

Rob

Robert, have you looked on the 1901 census to see where he was living at that time.

Rob, the 1901 census shows them at Halifax - his parents married in 1894, Edwin was born in 1895. His father Fred is listed as an Engineers Tool Maker Turner. So it could be, the whole family moved to Sheffield in search of work. His father was a Tool maker and a Turner, skills that could be used in the Steelworks. He could have worked in the 'machine shop' which is supposed to be a quarter of a mile long.

I think his mother could be called Emma Jane, Maiden name Jerome.

Many Thanks

Robert.

I visited the library today. Edwin enlisted in the 21st West Yorks in November 1915 and transfered to the 1st battalion in France in June 1918.

Unfortunately I didn't have enough time to find out about Kinder and Slater, hopefully next week.

By the way Robert where was he living in 1901 ?

regards

Rob

Rob, thanks for the information. The 1901 census shows them in Halifax, but I don't have an address.

Thanks also to Chris for making the connection to the 21st West Yorks.

As always the response on this forum has been 'First Class'.

Cheers

Robert.