Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Pte William Rodden

kingo

Any Royal Scots expert any other info about-

13778 Pte William Rodden,2nd Royal Scots K.I.A 19/02/1915 Commemorated on Menin Gate. Born Bathgate,Enlisted Avonbridge.

Would his regt number suggest a regular soldier or a pre war territorial or did he enlist at the outbreak of war ?.

Any info regarding company ,platoon etc would be appreciated.

The 2nd Battalion, The Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment) War Diary records the following for the two dates recorded on the memorial card 18th Feb 1915 and CWGC Register 19th Feb 1915.

18th February 1915:

Battalion proceeded to VIERSTRAAT to take over "M" Sector of trenches from the 4/Middlesex Regt. Relief successfully carried out by 9 p.m. Continued filling sandbags to form parapet. Casulaties:- one killed, one wounded.

TRENCHES

19th February 1915:

Took over "L" Sector on the south side of VIERSTRAAT - WYSHAETE road from 1st Gordon Highlanders, having thus to put an additional 100 men in the front line, making a total of 450 men in the firing line. Casualties two killed, one wounded.

Some additional material taken from page 75-76 of ‘The Royal Scots 1914-1919, by Major John Ewing, M.C. pub 1925, and gives an idea of the conditions they had to endue.

“MOUNT KEMMEL was destined to be a familiar land-mark to the 2nd Royal Scots for many weary weeks. On the 10th February 1915 the battalion took over trenches near VIERSTRAAT, but the new neighbourhood was even more unpleasant than the one which it had left; the village was a heap of mouldering ruins and the surrounding area was littered with the decomposing corpses of French soldiers and of animals. Much hard work had to be done before the place was tolerable, but for many days a nauseating atmosphere of pollution seemed to linger about the district. From January till April there was more strenuous labour than fighting. The trenches, constantly dissolving into liquid mud, always required strengthening, and despite ceaseless bailing the floors could not be kept dry. Some protection against water was given to the men by the issue of gumboots on the 19th January, and a modicum of comfort was added when towards the end of February wooden floor-boards were brought up and fixed in the trenches. As regards shelling, the enemy had the advantage owing to his greater stores, but as far as sniping and patrolling were concerned, the 2nd Royal Scots were confident that they more than held their own.”

Kingo,

If you look at Army on the Mother Site you'll see that the 2nd Royal Scots was a Regular Battalion.

This suggests that Pte Rodden was either a pre-War Regular or a recalled Reservist.I suppose it is possible that he joined the Colours after the outbreak of the War but if this was the case I cannot imagine that he would have been trained,etc to be killed in France in February 1915.

He was not a Territorial.The first Royal Scots(TF) Battalion to arrive in France was the 8th(November 1914).This Battalion was brought up to war strength with a draft of men from the Highland Light Infantry so would not have been in a position to release men to the Regular Battalion in February 1915.

George

Thanks for that George.The info is for a mate of mine who isnt sure whether or not he was a regular/reservist/territorial.Themonsstar has offered to do an look up for me next time he goes to the NRO.I will post any info he can find for anyone thats interested.

• 1 year later...
Any Royal Scots expert any other info about-

13778 Pte William Rodden,2nd Royal Scots K.I.A 19/02/1915 Commemorated on Menin Gate. Born Bathgate,Enlisted Avonbridge.

Would his regt number suggest a regular soldier or a pre war territorial or did he enlist at the outbreak of war ?.

Any info regarding company ,platoon etc would be appreciated.

Kingo,

Found out the following details:

West lothian Courier 5th March 1915

post-13002-1174988028.jpg

William Rodden

Mr James Roden, Rosemount, Mid Street Bathgate, has this week recieved word that his son William, a Private in the 2nd Battalion Royal Scots, had been killed on in action in Belgium on the 18th Februrary.

William Roden joined the Royal Scots along with a number of other Bathgate lads at the outbreak of the War.

He was 21 years of age and worked as a miner before joining the Army. He was sent to the front with his Regiment at Christmas 1914.

West lothian Courier 7th May 1915

In a letter sent home by one of the Armadale lads serving with the 2nd Battalion the Royal Scots it is stated that:

Pte William Roden (Bathgate) was shot while engaged taking sand bags to the trenches for his comrades safety.

Hope this Helps your mate.

Tom