Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Happy Hoppers'

Mark Hone

Does anyone have any background information or production details of the film of the 'Happy Hoppers' Concert Party which is part of the new display at Talbot House? A couple of the performers involved look vaguely familiar, and I understand that one is Lester Simpson, of Peace Concerts fame. I've never noticed any credits at the beginning or the end, but I've only managed to watch it in small chunks on my two recent visits to Toc H.

One small item - the episode where the man from the audience takes the stage and sings a song while polishing a boot really happened, although the real "performer" recited the words rather than singing them, and then left before anyone could ask him who he was. If I remember correctly, this is mentioned in "Tubby" Clayton's book, "Tales of Talbot House."

And yes - Lester Simpson does appear.

Tom

A wonderful production,which i was fortunate to see with my wife and Mr and Mrs Talmer,at one of Jacques talks this year.

Funny,and sad,and very believable,almost like it had been filmed on the day it had happened.

There is a production on at the Newbury Corn Exchange(the date escapes me at the mo),of a one man play called,"A Peacefull Day",which is about a soldiers last day,and which ends up with him being killed in action.

Has anyone seen it,and is it worth a look at?.

All the best.

Simon.

The Happy Hoppers will be performing LIVE on Armistice Day, 11 November 2005, 20.00 at Talbot House!

Entrance: 10,00 EUR, Friends of Talbot House: 8,00 EUR.

To order your tickets: phone Talbot House: +32 57 33 32 28 or e-mail: info@talbothouse.be

• 14 years later...

My friend Pete Baines was one of the Happy Hoppers.

You can see a lot of information about pierrot troupes and concert parties on my websites: www.prom-prom.com & www.seasidefollies.co.uk

Thanks. I notice that the permanent exhibition at Talbot House is being revamped. I hope that the 'Happy Hoppers' will remain.