The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Died the same day

andy1400

I have two men from my town that obviousley enlisted together in the 54th CCS RAMC as they had consecutive numbers. They both died the same day, 13/8/1915, at sea.

They are 109 Brayfield, Sam and 110 Watson, Percy.

Would anyone have details of the ship and how it met its end?

Regards

Andy

This would be the sinking of the "Royal Edward" which was a victim of UB14. She was bringing troops to Gallipoli.

UB14 fired one torpedo from under a mile away which hit her stern. The "Royal Edward" sank quickly. The after deck was awash in three minutes and the ship had sunk with her bows in the air in six minutes.

Official reports at that time stated 132 men were lost, including her captain and that has been repeated in many publications up to the 1980's In fact the loss of life was far greater. The Dictionary of Disasters at Sea 1824-62 published by Lloyds Register of Shipping states that "of the 1,586 on board less than 500 were rescued".

Just before the attack the troops had carried out boat drill so when the torpedo struck many were below decks stowing their gear.

Thank you very much. I have often wondered about these two. They must have gone through everything together from the start of their service right up to the end.

Anyway, once again thank you very much.

Regards

Andy

Andy

A couple of chaps from my village lost their lives on this ship.

One John Lake was number 96 in the 54th CCS RAMC

The other was Eldred Frary who was in a contingent of 300 from the 3rd (training) battalion, Norfolk Regiment who transferred over to the 1st Essex. Numerous village war graves around North Norfolk have lcontain names who were lost on that morning.

Unfortunately another tragedy, that of the 5th Battalion, Norfolks who 'disappeared' the day before has always overshadowed this sad event.

For a more in depth study go to -

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Acres/5...kgallipoli.html

very informative and personal

also

Edwin, 25, and Victor Hillary, 19, died whilst serving with 2nd Battalion, Hampshire Regiment. Sons of William and Mary J. Hodkinson, of 15, Albert Terrace, Highfield, Mossley, Manchester. Both are commemorated on the Helles Memorial to the Missing. They died when H.M.T. "Royal Edward" was torpedoed after leaving Alexandria for the Gallipoli Peninsula with reinforcements for the Dardenelles.

chris