Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

IWM 5th November Films

ianw

I note that the IWM have a special showing of 2 interesting films at 2pm on 5th November. These are "Eight Years After (1924) which tours the Ypres battlefields and "Ypres" (1925) .

This sounds like an enjoyable 2 hours and perhaps a chance for a Pals meet up as has happened before at the IWM. A good lunch is available at the pub opposite the IWM or lighter fare at the IWM cafe , of course.

Bring the family and dump them at the fantastic IMAX cinema at Waterloo. They won't be complaining - or meet them at the IMAX at 5pm or so and have the best of both worlds.

Ian,

This sounds like a good film to see, noted in diary. As you say another Pals meeting at the IWM maybe.

Andy

Ypres (1925)

Directed by

Walter Summers

Writing credits

Walter Summers

Genre: War (more)

Tagline: The Story of the Immortal Salient

User Rating: awaiting 5 votes.

Also Known As:

The Battle of Ypres (UK)

Wipers

Color: Black and White

Sound Mix: Silent

Trivia: While this film was originally a huge success and was released throughout Europe, it was not released in the United States until 1999, as part of the Archives of War video series. (more)

from www.imdb.com

Think it likely I will go and would suggest anyone interested could meet at noon or just after in the pub adjacent to the IWM (not sure of the name but its on the corner 150 yds to the left of the IWM assuming you are standing at the main entrance). A drink etc prior to leaving at 1.30 or so for the films.

No doubt someone will know what the pub is called.

Sounds like a plan, have every intention of being there.

Andy

I, too, would very much like to see these films but I'm 99% certain that I won't be able to make it on that date.

If there are any book(lets) accompanying the films or (dare I hope) copies of the films available, I'd be really grateful if any Pal could get me copies. Naturally, I'll reimburse all costs and postage.

Tom

Should we all carry "The Times" and sport a red carnation on arrival at the pub which shall be nameless

Patrick

My name is 'Mac' and I am a volunteer researcher at my Regimental Museum in Salisbury, Wiltshire. I am in the process of putting together the material for the Museum to produce a two Volume photographic history of the Wiltshire Regiment (Via Tempus Publishing) who specialize in this type of project. As a consequence I have total accress to the Regimental photographic archives, a lot of which has never been seen.

Whilst going through one of the officrs Album s I have come across a couple of photos that I think will interest those who are contributing to this thread. The 1st Battalion Wiltshires were in Tidworth in 1925 and supplied the troops for the film 'Battle of Ypres. For your informaton I will add four images that might be of interest to those going to see the film.

If anyone can assist by confirming the Regiments involvment, any information will be greatfully recieved. Furthermore if anyone can assist in pointing us in the right direction to get a copy for the Museum we would be most grateful. A further project in the Museum revolves around 'The Moving Image'

The first two Images are captioned in the Album as follows

'THE BATTLE OF YPRES.

Men of the Regiment taking part in the film of the battle of Ypres - a gas attack being screened at Tidworth, Aug 1925.

Cheers

MAC

post-1559-1126794071.jpg

post-1559-1126794200.jpg

Let's hope we can confirm that they were 1st Wiltshires - perhaps they will get a credit.

As regards a DVD copy of the film, I presume the IWM willl have the facilities to do this , but will probably have to charge - and of course, there may be copyright problems.

Looks like there may be a reasonable selection of folk trying to attend. Looking forward to the day.

Sure wish I could come to this! :( As far a recognizing each other at the pub which may not me called by name... :huh: , maybe you should go back to the pink trousers of old, surely no one has discarded theirs! :ph34r:

No way I am wearing pink trousers in Kennington !

As regards the pub for the noon meeting , can I change the proposed venue slightly from the pub with no known name to "The Ship" 171 Kennington Rd - just South of the IWM but still very close. I am assured this is an excellent pub by someone who should know. And we know what it is called !

If you were a manly man O GodlessWhitlock! :angry: you would not be afraid of wearing your pinkies anywhere! :D But no, you just draw the shades and parade around the house with them! Trusting the missus not to give up your tawdry secret! Be a man! Wear em!

Ian has a point Paul, have you ever been to Kennington. As Ian has said "No way I am wearing pink trousers in Kennington!" and I will add a few more exclamation marks to that No Way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy

Ian has a point Paul, have you ever been to Kennington. As Ian has said "No way I am wearing pink trousers in Kennington!" and I will add a few more exclamation marks to that No Way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy

Andy, I think I get your point! :unsure: But I am not sure he would be in any danger anyway! :P

Not quite sure how to take Guthrie's last enigmatic comment.

Although I may do strange things in the privacy of my own dungeon, I'll bet they are not half as depraved as the abominations indulged in by a dodgy Confederate lawyer crazed by heat , sippin' whiskey and an ill-gotten sheaf of defendant's cheques. In reality , Guthrie is an escaped Truman Capote character .

Pink trousers lead to Peter Cook's pink oboes. We have all been warned.

Oh No !! Not another thread being hijacked by the pink trousers brigade!

Patrick