Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Do you have a Trench Map....

Stephen Nulty

The Diary of 1/5 KLR for September 1918, states

"17th September

At 5.20am the artillery barrage opened for our attack on Canteleux Trench. All objectives gained and little opposition encountered. 16 prisoners captured - four Companies attacked with two Companies of 7 KLR in support. The enemy shelled Canteleux Trench, Apse House and all the points that we had gained during the day but did not attempt a counterattack. During the night our line was advanced by 200yds this new line being consolidated shell holes, blocks in Communication Trenches and a house at A 11.d.95.12."

The following day they were relived and moved to the left support position, where the diary goes on to state that they "bathed at Canal House".

Does anybody have an image of this area that they can provide?

Stephen,

Here's the area you asked about, however the date of the map is 24-5-18 so it's a little bit before the date you asked for. You can see Canteleux Trench though.

By the way, there is now a heading dedicated for these requests on this site.

Givenchy.jpg

Steve

Steve

Many thanks for that, it's just what I wanted.

I thought there was a correct place for such requests, but I couldn't find it !

Stephen.

I'm afraid I can't help you out with a scan on this one, but the ideal map that you seek is (in 1:10,000) 44aNW1 (La Bassee) ed.10c. This map (the last of the 1:10,000 scale produced for here), is trench dated 13th September 1918.

Dave.