Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

General Sir Hubert de la Poer Gough.

Tony Lund

I have come across a report that General Sir Hubert de la Poer Gough wrote an account of Fifth Army in 1931. Does anyone have any details of this, title etc., I am assuming (and hoping) it has been published.

Thanks ,

Tony.

"The Fifth Army" (Hodder & Stoughton) is the account of the whole war, Gough's rise from the Cavalry to Army Commander, and does cover the 1918 March retreat and his subsequent fall from grace in some detail.

Alan

I am specifically looking for anything I can find on the 49th Division, X Corps, 3rd September 1916, and the 62nd Division, V Corps, 3rd May 1917. Both were in Fifth Army so it should be worth a look.

Tony.

Probably something there, but it's pretty high level - are there no Divisional Histories for the 49th and 62nd?

Alan

There is some doubt about the existence of the 49th’s history, it may be incorporated in the book on the history of the 62nd. It has been ordered so I shall soon know. Both are West Riding Divisions. These were the two worst days of the war for this district and it seems the 49th Division was criticised after their attack failed, so I would like to know more about the attitude to the events on these days from the higher commanders.

There might be something useful,

Tony.

Tony,

If I get a chance tonight I'll have a quick look and see how much space is given by Gough to those dates. If it's not much, I'm sure I could copy the relevant pages if you want them.

Alan

Tony,

Unfortunately, there is so little I'll just type it out here: -

3rd Sept 1916: "On the 3rd of September a general attack was made in order to co-operate with the French and the Fourth Army on our right. With the exception of the 4th Australian Division, which partially obtained its object round Mouquet Farm, the rest of our attacking troops eventually fell back to the trenches from which they had started. This was the first repulse the Reserve Army had met on any large scale, but it was soon avenged."

3rd May 1917: "The Arras battle was therefore continued, and the Third Army planned another attack to take place on the 3rd May. In order to co-operate with this, the 2nd Australian Division and the 62nd Division again attacked the Bullecourt position. The 2nd Australians succeeded on the right, but on the left the 62nd Division failed. It was one of the last Divisions to come out from England, and although its men were as stout of heart as any, they lacked experience and training, and their attacking bodies lost direction.

The 7th Division relieved them, and renewed the attack, and was partially successful, but necxt day its units were driven out of the village."

Not much to go on, as I said above it's pretty high level. Sorry its not more help.

Alan

Thank you. It’s not exactly what I would call serious criticism, and that is actually quite useful to know.

Thanks for your trouble,

Tony.