Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Battle of the Somme

Tony Lund

I noticed that the Scala Theatre program was sold for 6d. I don’t know what the charge was to actually watch the film in Holmfirth, but I would think it would not be a whole lot more than that. The tripe and chips afterwards would be wrapped in the paper that originally carried the advertisement. I am really very pleased that I was born in the fish and chips era.

Tony.

From memory a large selection of excerpts from the somme and ancre films are available for download at the Wilfred Owen Media website. I can't remember the exact link but it shouldn't be too difficult to find.

Tim L.

The postman has just delivered a box containing two videos. I have not watched them yet, but I see that the running times are longer than I expected. The “Battle of the Somme” is 73 minutes long, and the “Battle of the Ancre and the Advance of the Tanks” is 63 minutes long.

I will have a look this afternoon.

Tony.

I can recommend both of these two films that are being sold together by DD Home Entertainment. I think they are a bit of very useful visual background information, all kinds of transport plus ambulances with shelves, men with hand carts, and some good shots of the tanks which brings home the size of the things. I was surprised at the pets, the artilleryman’s fox and the tank officer’s black cat, and stray dogs everywhere. Not being a fan of piano music I had to turn the volume off, but I am very pleased to have these films, and no doubt I shall spot things later that I did not notice the first time.

There is an interesting remark on the box:

“Exempted Work under section 2 of the Video Recording Act 1985.”

Anybody have any ideas about what that refers to?

Tony.

• 1 year later...

I watched an excerpt of "The Battle of The Somme" again recently and wondered at the time if anyone has lip - read what the soldiers are saying to each other. Does anyone know if this has been done ?

Myrtle

There was a documentary on, I think, Channel 5 around 1 July this year. It employed lip readers to try & work out what men were saying. Police facial recognition software was also used to try & identify some of the men, with limited success from what I saw although I missed part of it. They did succeed in establishing where the scene in which soldiers can be seen in the distance advancing under fire was filmed & it was from 1 July 1916. Andy Robertshaw of the National Army Museum was the main contributor.

I recently got a DD Home Entertainment catalogue free in a newspaper. It included only DVDs & didn't have 'The Battle of the Somme' and 'The Battle of the Ancre' double bill.

There was a documentary on, I think, Channel 5 around 1 July this year. It employed lip readers to try & work out what men were saying.

Martin

Do you recall what the lip readers discovered ?

Myrtle

Myrtle

I recall the dialogue was pretty mundane. There's a scene where, I think, ammuniton boxes are being moved and the NCO is just counting.

Another scene shows a guy with a leg wound being helped down the trench. They have to stop as the guy is in pain and he says "Jesus" or "F**k" or something (like you would).

Unfortunately I missed about half of it, so could have missed the good bits.

John

Nothing startling but the conversations were clearly related to what the soldiers appeared to be doing, i.e. they were doing it for real rather than just for the cameras. Apart from the two mentioned by John, there was one where an officer was inspecting his men in the trenches which I thought that was one of those that are now considered not to be a genuine battle scene. He said something about being ready to go, which suggested to me & to the programme makers that it was for real.

John and Martin

Thank you for confirming that lip readers have been used. I will keep a look out for a repeat of the programme. The new digitised copy of The Battle of the Somme is being shown at the Queen Elizabeth Hall, South Bank this evening with a new musical score performed by the Philharmonia Orchestra. I tried for some tickets but they were already sold out. It appears that the IWM are going to have the newly digitised version available for sale at some future date.

Myrtle

The film was shown at the Queen Elizabeth Hall, London last night with the Philharmonia orchestra playing an accompaniment commissioned by the Imperial War Museum.

The film has been cleaned up and re-mastered (or whatever the technical terms are). It is to be shown on the History Channel on November 11 and a DVD will be released by the IWM in 2007.

Moriaty

The original 1916 film has been digitally enhanced by YAP Productions in Canada and will be available shortly. It is to be "premiered" at the Queen Elizabeth Hall (South Bank, London) I think on Friday this week.

There was an article about it in the Sunday Times magazine two weeks ago.

Regards

TonyE

The film was shown at the Queen Elizabeth Hall, London last night with the Philharmonia orchestra playing an accompaniment commissioned by the Imperial War Museum.

The film has been cleaned up and re-mastered (or whatever the technical terms are). It is to be shown on the History Channel on November 11 and a DVD will be released by the IWM in 2007.

Moriaty

Thanks for this good news about History Channel and Dvd.