Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

PoW deaths

Doug Johnson

Of some 700+ commonwealth WW1 graves at Hamburg are a reported 59 from Gustrow. I have only managed to identify four of them so far;

Pte John A Gilfillan (see photo taken at Gustrow)

Pte Joseph Clark (two to the left of John Gilfillan) medal card index says Job Clark

Pte R Fox

Pte Harry Malthouse (photo on AWM site)

Does anyone know of any means of identifying the rest?

I have a photograph of a funeral at Gustrow and I would like to try and identify the soldier involved.

Doug

post-7895-1126552862.jpg

• 4 years later...

Hello Doug, I am researching a soldier you may be interested in. Private Charles Sharman 275240 London Regiment Royal Fusiliers 3 Battalion died 26/10/1918 aged 25 (The official date of death here is incorrect) You will find more details on my Banstead History website, (http://www.bansteadhistory.com/Memorial_WWI/1_S.html) but I have received a lot more info in the last two days including photos and documents. He was at Gustrow, died, and was buried, initially at Kiel, Section W Grave 298, then moved to Hamburg cemetery. Let me know if you are interested. You can mail me via any of the webmaster links on the Banstead site. I am in touch with his family who would need to give me permission to forward you any items, so I cannot attach them here. They will be in a local history book I am compiling. I think I have seen a postcard of the camp on one of your posts and I may be able to use that if you are willing to send me a copy.

Lewis.

Lewis,

Sharman is on my list of PoWs at Guestrow. The name came from a forum member who has a photograph of him taken at Keil! Incidently, the date of death recorded at the time on the photograph was 19th October 1918. The date on the CWGC site may be the date of the death certificate.

Since the first posting I have identified quite a few others.

Doug