Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rosette on 14-15 Star

Rob B

What was the qualification for the silver Rosette on the 1914 Star. Was it being in France as part of the BEF between August and November, or was it being under fire in an operational theatre between those dates. I have two relations who were both in the Services at the onset of the war and although they both have the 1914 Star they don't appear to have the Rosette.

What is the answer?

Thank you all in anticipation,

Cheers,

Rob

The rosette wasn't issued to be worn with the medal. It was to be worn on the ribbon when the ribbon was worn alone. It signified that the wearer was entitled to the Aug to Nov bar so not all 14 star holders would be entitled to one. Some soldiers did wear them with the medal but that was not officially.

Nigel

The Clasp to the 1914 Star{Not the 1914~15 Star which is a seperate award entirely,to which no embellishments were awarded} was awarded retrospectively to those who had between August 5th & November 22nd 1914 been within range of the German Mobile Heavy Artillery,instituted in October 1919,it had to be claimed by most Recipients,however those who had died on active service had their Clasps issued directly,The Rosette,a small sterling silver Rose Flower head was issued {2 per claim} [along with the Bronze Clasp worded " August 5th~November 22nd 1914"];for wear on the ribbon when worn in "Undress Uniform" ie on a Ribbon Bar.

Guest scott leader

Correct Nigel

The (Rosette) was to be worn on the 1914 Star ribbon on a wearing bar,

the (1914 Bar) was to be worn on the ribbon of the "Full Size" Star.

Wonderful and thank you all. My questions have all been answered, including one I didn't ask and that was do you wear the clasp on a minature.

Thank you for that,

Cheers,

Rob

do you wear the clasp on a minature?.

If entitled to wear the Clasp on the Full sized Medal then yes the Clasp[a miniature version] would be worn on the miniature,Miniatures were not worn by the majority of former O/Rs as they would not as a rule be going to the sort of Functions that would necessitate their wearing & they were not officially awarded but privately purchased from Military Tailors & Outfitters & mainly the domain of the Officer Class.

Thanks reason for asking is I am looking to put together a set for my great aunt who was a Sister and she had 5 including the MBE and ARRC I know there are a set in the family but I won't get them and they will look good with her picture.

I have a copy of The OCA magazine where members are warned that it is improper to wear the rosette on the ribbon above the medal and such flashy behaviour should stop forthwith.

I am proud to have my grandfather's ribbon bar with rosette attached.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have my Grandfathers 1914-15 Star which has a silver rosette on the medal bar (!!) and a date into theatre of 30/7/1915 - can some tell me if this an valid award and if not how would this come about :)

Thanks

Richard

The silver rosette was never authorized for wear with the 1914-1915 Star. Dick Flory

The silver rosette was never authorized for wear with the 1914-1915 Star.  Dick Flory

Thanks Dick - seems rather odd though - my Grandfather was a professional soldier - joined in 1910 - and the medals have been in the family - why it should feature is a mystery.

Some more information at:

http://www.iwm.org.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.1229

Regards

Richard

...however those who had died on active service had their Clasps issued directly.

My experience is that the bar was only issued automatically to those who died actually within the qualification period. The NoK of those who died after 22nd November would only have been issued with the bar had they applied for it. Why this should be I cannot say.

Regards

Steve

• 5 weeks later...

My Great Grandfathers 1914 Star has the rosette sen onto the ribbon. Presumable he was either enitled to the bar and lost it or didn't receive it, hence the rosette instead, albeit incorrectly.