The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lists of WWI British Hospital Ships

Guest expots

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Expots

Welcome. Just seen your request - are you after all or just those transporting the (majority) of New Zealand troops? If the latter, there were two - Maheno and Marama.

Andrew

One chap I know of came back on the 'Asturias'.

Bernard

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Andrew,

Have checked the wife's grandfathers serivice records and we can only make out that he was shipped from France to England late 1918 on HS Ess____ the rest is unreadable, unfortunately. We don't know if it was a Kiwi HS or an English one.

Thanks

Charlie Chan AKA expots

Apparently Essequibo was stopped by U-64 in 1917, searched, confirmed a hospital ship, and sent on her way. I have no confirmation of this other than this comment on a shipping website, but hopefully some of the naval experts on the Forum can help. She was commissioned in 1915 as a Mail Ship, pressed into service as a hospital ship for the duration, then returned to her original role. Eventually sold to the Russians in 1935!

Andrew

Thanks Andrew and Sue for that info. It fits right in with all the info we have.

Any other info that comes to hand on this ship will be most appreciated.

Charlie Chan AKA expots

Essequibo was a 8489 grt steamer built in 1914/15 for the Royal Mail Steam Packet Company. she was transferred in 1922 to Pacific Steam Nav. Co. (which the Royal Mail SP Co. owned) and sold to the USSR in 1935 and renamed Neva.

I do have U 64's KTB and will look through it to see if she did in fact stop and search Essequibo. This would have happen in the Mediterannean.

Best wishes,

Michael

Hi all,

the "Essequibo" was stopped and searched by U 54 (Kptlt. Freiherr von Bothmer) off Ireland on 15.03.1917, not by U 64.

I have no other details, but Michael may have her KTB ?

Oliver

Oliver,

I do indeed have U 54's KTB. I will take a look when I next review microfilms. U 54 would have been on her 7th patrol, departing on 8-Mar-17 for operations to the S and SW of Ireland with a routin around the north of Scotland.

Best wishes,

Michael

• 1 year later...
One chap I know of came back on the 'Asturias'.

Bernard

The Hospital Ship Asturias was torpedoed of Start Point in the English Channel on 20/21 March 1917. Although it did not sink it was beached, and then used as an ammunition hulk until after the war. So this ship was not used to carry soldiers in 1918.

Ian

The Essequibo was a British hospital ship loaned to the Canadian Government in 1917 as one of the five Canadian hospital ships for ww1 for the transatlantic run. She was indeed stopped, inspected and allowed to proceed by a German uboat as previously reported. An English sailor's or merchant marine company history does talk briefly about this but sadly I do NOT have the actual source (it is near contemporary though).

Hope this also helps you.

• 13 years later...

From H.M.H.S. Essequibo ship’s log, 1917 – available from The National Archives Discovery Ref: BT 165/1735

March 15th 3.30 p.m. two shots fired at ship by German submarine about 2 miles off, subsequently held up by the enemy till 4.15p.m., then allowed to proceed without harm, locality near coast of Ireland – Cape Clear – weather fine, no panic.

[signed: John D.Gimlette   Major R.A.M.C.   O.C. Troops H.S.Essequibo]